[Macpartners] filesystem pauses after upgrading to Tiger

Douglas Alan nessus at MIT.EDU
Tue Nov 15 17:06:46 EST 2005

I'm getting intermittent filesystem pauses after upgrading from Panther
to Tiger.  I.e., all process that try to touch the filesystem will
periodically hang for 30 seconds or so, after which they will all spring
back to life simultaneously.

I also sometimes get similar GUI pauses.

I often check /var/log/system.log when this happens, but no relevant
problem is ever logged there.

Rebooting the computer will make the problem go away for a day or two.
I have tried turning off Spotlight, OSXvnc, and Stretch Break Pro, to
see if any of these programs might be causing the problem, but disabling
these programs has caused no improvement.  The Dock Activity Monitor CPU
history icon does not show any unusual activity before, during, or after
these pauses.  I do not have any network filesystems mounted, nor do I
have a CD or CD-ROM in the CD drive.  I do not have any external disk
drives, and I never saw this sort of problem before upgrading to Tiger.

Any ideas?