[Macpartners] Re: MIME Types with Eudora and OS X

Christopher Naylor naylor at MIT.EDU
Wed Nov 9 10:34:10 EST 2005

Just to let you all know, I solved the problem!  Yay!

The Eudora 6 manual was indeed correct in its instructions to edit the
resource fork of the Eudora application.  I found a freeware OS X
compatible resource editor, Rezilla (available at Sourceforge.net).  The
EuOM resource, which governs MIME mappings for outgoing messages, contained
an mapping for Adobe Illustrator, which uses the ".ai" suffix.  The
mapping, however, was just to match the file creator only, not creator and
file type.  Since Illustrator and Acrobat are both Adobe products, they
have the same file creator.  The mapping for PDF was on file type only, not
file type and creator.  Either because the Illustrator mapping came before
the PDF mapping in the resource list, or Eudora's preference is for file
creator over type, Eudora mapped PDFs to Illustrator when
sending.   Deleting the Illustrator mapping fixed the problem.

I know, I know, I should have tried editing the resource first, before
crying out for help.  I just thought that with OS X, resource forks were a
thing of the past.  I have learned my lesson.

Thanks to all who replied!  You guys rock.

C.