[Macpartners] Virex and Tiger

Albert Willis awillis at MIT.EDU
Wed Jul 20 19:00:00 EDT 2005

On Jul 19, 2005, at 3:08 PM, Dave Broderick wrote:

> We just got new Notebooks which have Tiger on them.
>
> We will have Kerberos, MSOffice, Filemaker, Acrobat Reader, but NO
> SAP stuff on them.
>
> Will Virex work, or will it muck things up?
>
> David J. Broderick
Short answer: installing Virex 7.5, 7.5.1 or 7.6 will muck things up
with Tiger. Virex 7.7 should be released later this summer and will
be compatible with Tiger.

It's difficult to recommend going with Virex 7.2.1, since it's quite
old and lacks many features that make antivirus software useful. It
will scan a user's home directory for viruses and that's about it.

Since there are zero viruses for Mac OS X and IS&T blocks other types
of viruses at the e-mail servers, you can probably wait until Virex
7.7 is released.

   -- Al

Albert Willis
Macintosh Platform Coordinator - Software Release Team
Information Services and Technology
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
awillis at mit.edu