[Macpartners] Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger" Update

Bill Cattey wdc at MIT.EDU
Mon Jul 11 18:09:52 EDT 2005

I am sorry to hear that you gave up on IS&T support for Mac OS X.

You raise a question that deserves an answer: "Why does it seem like
IS&T is not testing until after a product ships?"

My personal experience is as Linux Platform Coordinator, but I believe
it is applicable to platforms like Mac OS X.

We *DO* test products before they come out -- as much early access as
vendors are willing to give us.  Some vendors give us a lot of access.
Others don't give us much or any early access.  We negotiate as best we
can.

The issue that keeps a LOT of us in IS&T stressed is that after we have
tested the early versions of a product, the real version of the product
sometimes ships badly broken in some way.  The vendor thought it was a
trivial change, but it wasn't.  We have found that we have to run ALL
the testing we did on the early version AGAIN on the REAL version, and
that we often find nasty problems.

It is an unfortunate situation that, when the vendors ship new versions
of their products, they somehow fail for a non-trivial segment of the
MIT user community.  I appreciate how all you have seen is how long it
takes for us to qualify new software, and how in spite of that delay,
you still get bit by problems.

Although I am saddened by the prospect of IS&T losing the experience
from the users of your 50+ LNS systems, I can appreciate your viewpoint.
When you shrink the problem down from 1000 stakeholders to 50
stakeholders, the job of getting things to work for "everyone" is a lot
easier.

Before you walk away from us, I ask you please to consider the
possibility that we ARE working hard, and that we ARE remedying
problems, just not always in areas that are visible to you and your
smaller community.

Ultimately, IS&T can't do the whole job alone.  We need customers who
will try stuff out, and either confirm for us that all is well, or help
us get problems and solutions through to the vendors.

I hope that IS&T can be useful to you in the future.

-Bill Cattey