[Macpartners] headset use on a G4 powerbook

Douglas Alan nessus at MIT.EDU
Mon Jul 11 14:53:55 EDT 2005

Kerem B Limon <k_limon at MIT.EDU> wrote:

> > If the Powerbook provides only one audio input, it will almost certainly
> > be a line-level input, in which case you would have to plug an amplified
> > line-level microphone into that input.  If they provide both a
> > line-level input and a microphone input, you could either plug a
> > line-level microphone into the line-level input, or a more typical
> > microphone-level microphone into the microphone input.

> Hmmm...well then unless this particular G4 or newer G4s have changed
> something (and that you have a newer, different desktop G4), there is
> some confusion going on. All G3 PowerBooks, all G3 desktop Power Macs,
> and most all Power Mac G4 desktops I have accept standard, unpowered
> microphones. I've *never* had to use a powered mike with any Mac.

I just did a Usenet Google search, and you disagree with every
discussion I found on the matter between the years 2000 and the present.
Here is one such discussion:

   http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.sys.mac.advocacy/browse_frm/thread/b4c698a634be2886/a24f94647ad22126?q=headset+mac+line-level&rnum=1&hl=en#a24f94647ad22126

Perhaps an unpowered microphone will work on a Mac if the microphone
outputs a strong signal and you crank the gain on the input way up in
the control panel.  Apple doesn't seem to recommend that way of doing
things, though.  It certainly won't hurt to try using an unpowered
microphone on a line-level input with the gain cranked.  At worst it
won't work at all or the volume will be too low.  And if it doesn't
work, you can always purchase a little powered microphone to line-level
preamp box.  I'm sure Radio Shack sells them.