[Macpartners] Zeroing sectors of just one volume (on a partitioned drive)

Kerem B Limon k_limon at MIT.EDU
Fri Jul 1 16:45:08 EDT 2005

Quoting Timothy Boyden <trboyden at MIT.EDU>:

> Although not free, SuperScrubber from Jiiva Software
> (http://www.jiiva.com) $29.99 claims to securely erase data from
> internal or external hard drives and partitions.
>
> Honestly I'm not sure how secure this approach would be given that due
> to defragmentation data gets written all over a hard drive so even if
> you did zero just one partition, data from that partition may still be
> on other parts of the drive and recoverable through professional means.

Um, no. Fragmantation is an issue that occurs at a higher level (filesystem)
than the logical arrangement of the disk (LBA or CHS sectors), and is in fact
filesystem-dependent because it is a result of the method used to index/store
data logically within a partition. A logical partition does indeed map to a
contiguous region (or rather, sequence) of sequential sectors and can in fact
be treated as a separate entity with clearly demarcated borders.

> A better approach would be to copy the data you want to keep to another
> drive, zero the old drive and copy the saved data back to the old drive.
> It's going to take awhile to zero the drive anyways so the extra step of
> copying the good data won't mean much in the end. Also it's a safer
> method given something could happen to the good data during the zeroing
> process of the one partition.

It is entirely possible to write code that would do what David wants, but
confine it to the data bits (not the boot sectors) of partitions. It's a really
good question and I'd be surprised if there isn't a product for it yet.

-Kerem