[Macpartners] 'Slipstreaming' OS X updates onto install media?

Kerem B Limon k_limon at MIT.EDU
Thu Feb 10 13:35:18 EST 2005

This reminds me of another question (and without having done the due Google'ing
burden)...is there a method to 'integrate' released OS X software updates and
minor OS updates into an install disc a la 'slipstreaming' service packs, et
al. on Windows 2000+ media? Note, I am not talking about making an ASR image
with the desired updates installed. I want an 'install disc' a la what Helen
has below.

I presume this'd involve dumping the update .pkgs in the same directory as the
OS binaries and modifying some plists or install project files, but details
would be very useful.

-Kerem

PS: When is Apple going to have something a la '(Windows) System Restore'? I
doubt the technology, particularly on a UNIX-like OS, is difficult. I'm
beginning to get more and more users whose stuff is broken by Apple updates and
cannot roll back without religious, unreasonably frequent, full system level
backups.

----- Forwarded message from Helen Rose <hrose at MIT.EDU> -----