[Macpartners] OKI Hands-on Workshop

Scott Thorne thorne at MIT.EDU
Thu Feb 3 22:52:54 EST 2005

You are invited to participate in a hands-on workshop on implementing
the Open Knowledge Initiative's Open Service Interface Definitions (OKI
OSIDs).  The OSIDs define a set of services that can serve as the basis
for building systems.  The workshop will cover what an OSID is, the
APIs provided in the 2.0 release, aspects of interoperability,
portablity, and how the OSIDs foster them.  Particular attention will
be given to designing and developing enterprise integration techniques.

Date & Time:
    Wed., Feb. 16, 2005 from 9am to 5pm.  Lunch will be provided.
    Thurs. Feb. 17 2005 from 9am to 12noon.

Who's it for:
The workshop will be limited to 14 programmers with previous Java
development experience.  The workshop provides specific technical
information on how to implement OSIDs using Java interfaces.

What you need to have:
You will need a laptop with an integrated development environment such
as Eclipse and Java 1.4 previously installed.  You will also need
wireless access.  Participants will be working in two person groups.

Please send mail back if you would like to participate, and forward
this mail on to others.

Background:
    The Open Knowledge Initiative develops specifications that describe
how the components of an educational software environment communicate
with each other and with other enterprise systems. O.K.I.
specifications address broad interoperability agreements that allow for
adaptation and further specification by communities of practice. In
this way, O.K.I. seeks to open new markets for educational tools and
content.

    The O.K.I. team at MIT continues to provide architectural and
technical leadership for software initiatives in higher education,
among industry affiliates, and through national and international
organizations such as the IMS Global Learning Consortium. This work
helps ensure that the next generation of e-learning software will
integrate seamlessly with the educational enterprise, and it
establishes O.K.I. as a global leader in behavioral specifications for
educational technology interoperability.

    The Open Knowledge Initiative was initially funded through a grant
from the Andrew W. Mellon foundation.

Instructor:
    Mark Norton is an independent consultant specializing in technology
based learning and course management system development.  He is current
a Senior Technical Consultant to the Sakai Project where he is a member
of the Architecture team and coodindates technical activities for the
Sakai Educational Partnership Program.  Prior to work on Sakai, Mr.
Norton was employed by the IMS Global Learning Consortium as Director
of Specification Development.  He has been involved with OKI from it's
early days and has worked closely with them to develop the current
OSIDs.

Scott Thorne
Enterprise Software & Data Architect
IS&T -- Academic Computing