[Macpartners] VPN Clients for Windows and Mac OS X available to use MIT VPN Service

Jonathan McIndoe Hunt jmhunt at MIT.EDU
Thu Jul 22 12:19:03 EDT 2004

Date: Thursday, 22 July 2004
To: MIT Community: itpartners at mit.edu, winpartners at mit.edu,
macpartners at mit.edu, sw-release-announce at mit.edu
From: VPN Client Release Team <vpn-release at mit.edu>
Subject: VPN Clients for Windows and Mac OS X available to use MIT VPN Service
Cc: is&t at mit.edu, vpn-release at mit.edu
----
Hello,

In preparation for the Democratic National Convention (DNC) in Boston next
week with the anticipation that some staff and faculty who normally do not
work from off campus will be trying to work from a far, we have made the
Virtual Private Network (VPN) clients for Windows and Mac OS X available
with a set of installation instructions.  We will be following up with a
normal software release effort that will include more documentation and
customized installers for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux.

About the VPN
-----------------------------
MIT deployed a <http://itinfo.mit.edu/product?name=vpn>Virtual Private
Network to assist MIT clients with connectivity from off campus. The VPN
provides a solution to work through the various port blocks and other
things that Internet Service Providers (ISPs) do to protect their clients
and try to prevent spam, virus outbreaks, and other network abuse. These
preventative measures often interrupt or prevent legitimate work from
happening. The MIT VPN can help resolve a number of problems associated
with e-mail, Windows file sharing, and other network-based applications
without needing to determine the particular preventative measures your ISP
has implemented.

Put another way, the VPN provides clients with a way to have a consistent
set of policies for their Internet connectivity regardless of where they
are connecting from.

Where to get VPN Clients
-----------------------------
You can download the VPN clients and associated MIT VPN Profile from the
MIT Software Download site.  You need both the client and the profile to be
able to connect.

http://web.mit.edu/software/

Documentation, which at the time is limited to installation instructions,
is available from

http://itinfo.mit.edu/product?name=vpn

Where to get Help
If you need assistance with installing or using the VPN, please contact the
Computing Help Desk at computing-help at mit.edu or (617) 253-1101.

If you will be working from home next week, we encourage you to try things
out tonight and tomorrow when we have time to help resolve any issues that
arise.  The Computing Help Desk will be open as usual next week to assist
with problems, but some tasks may require changes to systems on campus,
such as setting up a file share on a machine in your office.

Thanks,
Jon