[Macpartners] mirror copy

Albert Willis awillis at MIT.EDU
Tue Dec 28 16:23:48 EST 2004

On Dec 28, 2004, at 12:51 PM, Rachel Morton wrote:

> Thanks to everyone for their Tex advice
> now , on to another situation
>
> I have to return a poorly assembled G5 which has 6 partitions all
> sweetly set up the way the user loves. I will partition the
> replacement exactly the same way. What is the easiest way to transfer
> everything over? ie - with no installs.
> The system is identical ( except for the quality control issues of
> assembly ( I hope))
> Anyone who would like a laugh is free to peek into this box - someone
> was having a very very bad day)
>
> Rachel Morton
> Nuclear Engineering

Partition the new machine the same way as the old machine. (This
assumes that the user hasn't come to their senses and realizes that 6
partitions is generally a bad idea, but I digress...).

Download and install Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) on the old machine. Using
a FireWire cable, put the new machine target disk mode and use CCC to
clone each partition to the corresponding partition on the new machine.

Good luck.

   -- Al

Albert Willis
Macintosh Platform Coordinator - Software Release Team
Information Services and Technology
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
awillis at mit.edu