[Macpartners] sending email problems

Kerem B Limon k_limon at MIT.EDU
Wed Dec 8 15:14:58 EST 2004

Incorrect. Panther (10.3) will not by default install on 'beige' (aka.
'Platinum' series of Power Mac G3s, 'Wallstreet' PowerBook G3s, or older macs).
Basically anything without bult-in USB ports.

It is possible to install 10.3 on these machines using XPostFacto
(http://eshop.macsales.com/OSXCenter/XPostFacto/), but don't expect any serious
desktop performance, especially without lots of RAM and a modern display
adapter. Most peripherals and power management functions will not necessarily
work. Even with all these, it will be too slow, especially to someone coming
from Mac OS 9.

It is time to upgrade to a newer machine. Cheap, older Power Mac G4s can be had
for a few hundred dollars or less on eBay, CraigsList, etc.

Kerem