[Macpartners] Re: multiple copies received of some e-mails from single list?

Mark Silis mark at MIT.EDU
Thu Apr 29 03:34:04 EDT 2004

Hi Steve,

As a result of the continuing increase in the volume of unwanted e-mail
the load
on the MIT e-mail system has increased dramatically over the past
several months. Duplicate message suppression is a server side feature
which utilizes a database to track e-mail message ids received by user
(e-mail message ids are a unique identifier distinguishing each
message). Unfortunately the delivery of each message results in an
access or write to this database and therefore imposes a significant
resource impact on the mail system. We have temporarily disabled
duplicate suppression on the post offices in order to try and ensure
the timely delivery of e-mail and avoid potential outages as the volume
of Spam continues to increase. We are currently evaluating several
possible improvements and are looking to add resources to improve
overall system performance in the very near future. Once we have
improved the current situation we will be able to restore the duplicate
suppression. Thank you and everyone for their continued patience as we
work through these difficulties.

-- Mark