[Macpartners] "Mac OS X for Unix Geeks" seminar in 26-100 on Saturday, 24-Apr-2004

David M Rosenberg rosenberg at MIT.EDU
Sun Apr 18 13:07:57 EDT 2004

I'd like to call your attention to a full day seminar on "Mac OS X for
Unix Geeks" being presented by the Greater Boston Chapter of the
Association for Computing Machinery (GBC/ACM) in MIT room 26-100 this
Saturday, 24-Apr-2004. The fee is only $90 for the full day.

Full disclosure notice: I am a volunteer in the GBC/ACM.

/David M Rosenberg         <rosenberg at mit.edu>         1-617-253-8054

GBC/ACM Professional Development Seminars for Spring, 2004
<http://www.gbcacm.org>    or    (781) 862-1181

"Mac OS X for Unix Geeks" with Brian Jepson and Ernest Rothman
Saturday April 24, 2004 at MIT room 26-100

Under the classy Mac OS X user interface lurks a powerful Unix system.
Although this makes it easier for seasoned Unix users to approach Mac
OS X, there are some differences that are both frustrating and
delightful. We will cover the advanced aspects of Mac OS X's BSD
personality, focus on Mac-specific details that make it subtly
different from other Unix systems, the use of Open Source
applications, and Scientific Computing.

Who Should Attend
-----------------
Unix users making the switch to Mac OS X, and Mac OS X users who have
no prior Unix experience but want to explore the power of Mac OS X's
Unix foundation. Also, Macintosh systems administrators who want a
deeper understanding of Mac OS X's Unix personality.
Seminar Topics

* Customizing the Terminal and Shell
* File system view from Finder vs. Unix Shell
* Compiling Open Source applications with Fink and DarwinPorts
* Secure remote access, using SSH, X11, and VNC
* Mac OS X for scientific computing
* Available hardware and software
* High and low profile examples
* Role of X11
* Challenges and opportunities
* Online resources

Lecturers
---------
Brian Jepson is an O'Reilly editor, programmer, and co-author of Mac
OS X Panther for Unix Geeks and Learning Unix for Mac OS X Panther.
He's also a volunteer system administrator for AS220
(http://www.as220.org), a non-profit arts center in Providence, Rhode
Island, which gives artists uncensored and unjuried forums for their
work. These forums include galleries, performance space, and
publications.

Ernest E. Rothman is an Associate Professor of Mathematics and Chair
of the Mathematical Sciences Department at Salve Regina University
(SRU) in Newport, Rhode Island.  He has published in the SIAM Journal
on Numerical Analysis and is a co-author of Mac OS X Panther for Unix
Geeks.  Ernie holds a PhD in Applied Mathematics from Brown
University.

Session Chair:  Edward Freedman (Edward.Freedman at acm.org)

Seminar Book Offers:
Mac OS X Panther for Unix Geeks