[Macpartners] Help with public folder in OSX

Carolyn Fuller fuller at MIT.EDU
Thu Sep 18 12:44:39 EDT 2003

Dan,

> I am running OS X and I am trying to set my personal web sharing such
> that people could have a look at the files within the Public directory
> and download them.  The problem is that the default setting does not
> allow to see a list of files

I've been running web sharing on my Mac since it first became possible
many years ago. When I upgraded to OS X last December I did not attempt
to set up the old OS 9 default of just listing the files in my web
sharing folder because I had actually experienced problems with that
default as the number of files grew. If the number of files you have
remains reasonably small, this won't be a problem for you. But if the
number grows, you might encounter the same problems with Apache as I
encountered in OS 9.

My solution was to create a home page that lists links to directories:

http://fuller.mit.edu/

Then within those directories the files are listed:

http://fuller.mit.edu/misc/

Carolyn

---
Carolyn Fuller