[Macpartners] OS X & appletalk

Ethan Signer signer at MIT.EDU
Thu Sep 4 11:02:14 EDT 2003

A major problem for which both AppleCare and the Computing Help Desk
were (after 6 weeks) unable to find a solution:

1. A G4 PowerBook, bought in March 2001 with OS 9.1 and then
successively upgraded to OS 9.2.2 and OS 10.2.6, is unable (i.e.
refuses) to open AppleTalk in OS X. AppleTalk will not open in
Classic either, though it will open if the machine is booted in OS
9.2.2. As a workaround, I can open AppleTalk in OS 10.2.6 by typing a
command in Terminal (sudo appletalk -u en1) and, if Classic is
running at the time, restarting Classic (i.e. if Classic is running
the Terminal command isn't enough); I also have to redo this
workaround if the computer goes to sleep and then wakes up again, and
I also have to redo the workaround occasionally for no apparent
reason.

2. A (graphite) iBook, also bought in March 2001 with OS 9.1 and then
successively upgraded to OS 9.2.2 and OS 10.2.6, has no problem
whatever opening AppleTalk.

3. An (opaque) iBook, bought this Spring with OS 9.2.2 and OS 10.1
and then upgraded to OS 10.2.6, has the same AppleTalk problem as the
G4 PowerBook (#1 above).

Apple says the system must be corrupted and I should wipe everything
completely and reinstall, which I am understandably reluctant to do.
But I find it surprising that 2 out of 3 computers should have
developed this corruption, and that two computers set up the same
(except for the PowerBook being G4 and the iBook being G3) should
behave so differently.

I need AppleTalk to communicate with the LaserJet that all 3
computers depend on (through AirPort) - any suggestions for
correcting this problem besides a complete reinstall?

Thanks
Ethan

--
Ethan R. Signer, PhD