[Macpartners] Re: Leaving IS and thanks...

Kerem B Limon kerem.limon at MIT.EDU
Thu Nov 20 16:57:40 EST 2003

Folks--

At the risk of further cluttering your mailbox, I wanted to take the
opportunity and very briefly thank you all for the avalanche of responses
to my recent good-bye note and all the kind words and offers of assistance
accompanying them. When I stopped by the office today, more of you came by
to thank me for what I wrote. Personally, this has been a very touching
experience, really. Thank you.

Some of you may be aware that this morning the ugly face of terrorism
struck once again--incredibly for the second time in so few days--at the
heart of Istanbul, the city where I was born, in which I grew up and lived
until I came to MIT ten years ago; a place with many fond memories and good
old friends. And yet there are reports of more, continued violence in Iraq
today. It is at times like this, faced with ultimate acts of senselessness
that can indiscriminantly snuff out otherwise ordinary, unsuspecting lives
that I realize once again how lucky some of us are to be alive and well.

Events like this almost inevitably make one think of his/her own mortality.
That brought back a reminder of something a friend, someone I consider wise
beyond his years, said to me a long time ago. He once asked me what my
definition of success in life was. At the time, I recalled many a grand
plans and lofty goals I had for the future, and the accomplishments they
would bring when realized. He smiled and replied that he'd found all that
really mattered were two things--whether you had *really* tried--I mean,
tried hard and long, with all the will and strength you could muster to
realize what it was you wanted to do in life--regardless of whether you got
there or not; and, what people would say about you, were you to depart from
this Earth this very instant by some cruel twist of events, especially
something senseless. I now better understand what he meant, and am
flattered to see that at least I've got half of it right (and I'm working
hard on the rest!).

Once again, thanks for your kind thoughts; they count for extra on an
especially somber day like today.

Best regards,
Kerem B. Limon