[Macpartners] Fwd: MIT's Mail System -- two informative updates...

Ginny Williams ginnyw at MIT.EDU
Thu Nov 20 12:35:41 EST 2003

--- begin forwarded text

To: IT-Partners <itpartners at mit.edu>
Cc: fcc at mit.edu, service-tl at mit.edu, Theresa M Regan <tregan at mit.edu>,
    tns-lt at mit.edu, support-tl at mit.edu, itlt at mit.edu
Subject: Fwd: MIT's Mail System  --  two informative updates...
From: Theresa M Regan <tregan at MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 05:22:48 -0500

Good Morning,

a brief update...

Information Systems will delay the implementation of access control
outlined below on outbound e-mail scheduled for today.  This delay
will allow us more time to work with a few Departments and ensure
"direct delivery" of their e-mail avoiding any significant
disruptions.  We hope to implement this additional restriction before
week's end.  Another brief update will follow prior to implementing
this access control.

Last week, we saw a steady increase in outbound authenticated e-mail
(SMTP authentication).  Thank-you!

As a reminder, IS will continue to promote SMTP authentication
throughout the month focusing on particular e-mail client
configurations each week.  Eudora remains our focus this week.
Colleagues who use Eudora as their e-mail client are encouraged to
plan an upgrade to Eudora v 5.2.  This version of Eudora supports
SMTP authentication.  MIT's Eudora installers, available at
<http://web.mit.edu/software/>, are pre-configured for SMTP
authentication and encryption.

In closing, our thanks to our IT colleagues for their support and
assistance as we implement these additional measures to limit our MIT
Mail System to our Community.  Thank-you for sharing this information
within your Departments.  Should you have any pressing questions or
concerns, please feel free to contact me.

Regards,
Theresa

Begin forwarded message:

--- end forwarded text