[Macpartners] Apple Mail & SMTP authentication

Marshall Vale mjv at MIT.EDU
Fri Nov 14 17:03:10 EST 2003

Disclaimer: While I am an employee of IS, I'm speaking as a user of
the e-mail system, not as someone authoritatively responsible for how
the mail system is implemented.

At 2:15 PM -0500 11/13/03, Matthew Walburn wrote:
>I was told that even though I'm using my @math.mit.edu address that
>if I authenticated with my athena account that I would be allowed to
>send.

The issue you're encountering is partially mentioned in the message
that was distributed to the community about the authentication
changes:

>>All outgoing e-mail will have its  "From: address" checked to
>>ensure a valid username or e-mail list is being used for mail
>>submission.

The detail here is that the valid usernames are for the @mit.edu
space. As you are using a different namespace, namely math.mit.edu,
that check will fail regardless of how you authenticated (SSL,
Kerberos or SSL+Kerberos)

I believe your solution at this time is to use a SMTP service
provided by math.mit.edu.

For further clarification on this policy, you should contact open a
case with the Network Group <http://casetracker.mit.edu/>.

Marshall