[lookit-research] June Newsletter

Aaron Beckner agbeckner at ucdavis.edu
Thu Jun 10 12:33:28 EDT 2021

Lookit Newsletter

June 2021

Welcome!

This short newsletter is intended for all the researchers using Lookit to
get a quick overview and update about current activity in Lookit. If you
have comments, suggestions, or announcements for future newsletter content,
please let us know. You can Slack or email Mark Sheskin or Aaron Beckner (
msheskin at mit.edu or agbeckner at ucdavis.edu).

Announcements

Several members of our community recently put together an ICIS Webinar on
online data collection that included some helpful resources for using the
platform. Links to video recordings of the presentation as well as
materials can be found in this OSF repository <https://osf.io/gycmj/>.

“Lookit” the geographic distribution of infants and children that have
participated in our various studies in the United States! The colors
represent the number of participants recruited from specific areas of the
United States as of April 16th. The code used to generate this plot, as
well as other helpful materials, can be found in the OSF repository linked
above. Please note that there are many families that are participating
outside the United States and we are currently working on increasing these
numbers as well as visualizing the distribution of participants in
different regions across the globe (stay tuned!).

This Month’s Action Item

In each newsletter, we will highlight an “action item” you can take to
contribute to the Lookit community. This month, we want to hear from you as
a researcher! We are conducting a “study” in which you will be asked to
record a few video clips with information about who you are and how you use
the platform. We will then use these in various videos (e.g., a video other
researchers can watch to learn about the platform and determine whether
they may want to use it themselves). Please take a few minutes to record
your responses. Here is the study link.
<https://lookit.mit.edu/exp/studies/9d41d6c9-f970-4539-878a-15b2d09d8c52/preview-detail/>

Updates on Peer Review

We have launched a new peer review form
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeciUbRizC62_4DSzXR9xitZRTYibUKXvuHmwPyo38NsAkCnA/viewform>
that will allow you to access your reviews in a google spreadsheet
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1S251yfmqpIBmrcuxU6jOUrP_aRqHLIhmDvU3T4LPMo4/edit?usp=sharing>
so check it out! Also, as this newsletter is being released, there are
multiple studies that need peer review including those in the below table.
You can click on “Preview”  to see the study and “Feedback” for the survey
to fill out. The “Slack” link goes to the conversation about it in Slack,
which you can also easily find by looking at the “researchers” channel
(please add a comment in Slack after you have reviewed a study).

Study name

Baby Number Sense

Preview
<https://lookit.mit.edu/exp/studies/5c975d94-863b-4f10-be9a-6e838e2534b0/preview-detail/>