[lookit-research] Lookit update, winter 2020

Kim Scott kimscott at mit.edu
Wed Mar 18 11:07:37 EDT 2020

Happy St. Patrick's Day, Lookit friends!

Hope you're coping ok with social distancing measures. We've been getting a
lot of inquiries about running studies given that labs have shut down
in-person testing. The short answer is we're welcoming everyone to get
started, but you should understand that this won't be an immediate solution
(see updated wiki
<https://github.com/lookit/research-resources/wiki/UPDATED:-Preparing-your-study-for-Lookit>).

Here's the news about Lookit since the summer...

   - We're aiming to *launch this spring*! (Yes, earlier than previously
   estimated.) That means letting anyone develop and submit their own studies
   on lookit.mit.edu. My APS Observer article
   <https://www.psychologicalscience.org/observer/kids-in-their-comfort-zones>
   has an overview of the current status and what people can do to get
   started. (If you are interested in preparing a study to run on Lookit,
   please go ahead and start on these steps - you don't need to ask for
   permission, unless you have some specific concern you want to check in
   about.)
   -

   A tutorial introduction
   <https://lookit.readthedocs.io/en/develop/tutorial.html> to using Lookit
   is now available so that new researchers can set aside a known amount of
   time to work through step-by-step exercises and end up ready to put their
   own studies online. We have about 12 people working through it as far as I
   can tell. The first tutorial office hours
   <https://lookit.readthedocs.io/en/develop/tutorial-access.html#where-to-go-for-help>
   are this afternoon! I also presented a workshop on Lookit at the “Open
   Developmental Science
   <https://cogdevpreconference.wixsite.com/opendevscience>” preconference
   at CDS this fall (materials available at that link).
   - Undergrad student Kamaria Kaalund worked on social media outreach and
   better understanding our participants' motivations during the fall term.
   The quick conclusion? It's not as easy as we might hope to reach parents
   via Facebook or Instagram, even using creative human-generated content :)
   You can read her report on survey responses here
   <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1AX2Ncacy_t46VQAgOZRfDmc_UToPEMTG_AEcUR2d-zM/edit?usp=sharing>.

   - We have some new flyers
   <https://github.com/lookit/research-resources/blob/master/Recruitment/Flyers%20Feb%202020(2).pdf>for
   Lookit available. This turns out to have been exactly the wrong time to
   make them, but someday when families are out and about at playgrounds,
   libraries, etc. we will post them locally and are happy to send physical
   copies to you if you want to help out!
   - Our *beta testers* have continued testing, and a pilot of one
   long-awaited study is now live: "Baby See, Baby Do?"
   <https://lookit.mit.edu/studies/21dadb19-16bf-471c-b666-698905c8dcf9/>
   (Laurie Bayet, American University) looks at *newborns' imitation of
   parents* at home.asdas

*Platform development:*

   - Rico's finishing up *transferring hosting* over from the Center for
   Open Science, which will give us complete control over the CI/CD pipeline
   and more ability to scale up. There are a lot more moving parts than I
   realized.
   - We also finished the *recruitment dashboard* which shows participation
   and registration over time, as well as allowing tabulating by various
   characteristics to evaluate how recruitment efforts work.
   - I've made substantial changes to the *data download options* to make
   it *easier to analyze and share data*, while minimizing the risk of
   unintentional disclosure of personal information. You can now download an
   overview with one line per response or a detailed file with data in a
   fairly standard 'long' format, both with data dictionaries / dictionary
   templates! You can omit potentially sensitive information like names, and
   even download children's ages already rounded, to avoid storing birthdates
   at all. By default Lookit now provides child and account IDs specific to
   the study - so you don't have to worry about the potential for
   de-anonymization via linking data across studies. (Changes summarized
   here <https://github.com/lookit/lookit-api/issues/148> and here
   <https://github.com/lookit/lookit-api/issues/321>)
   - We've clarified some terminology and substantially simplified the user
   interface for study editing. No more "building dependencies" (that's now
   "building an experiment runner") and no more building separate containers
   for the experiment vs. the preview. When selecting the version of the
   experiment runner to use, you can see some information about what version
   you're currently using and click "check for updates" to see what new is
   available.
   - *Study previews* now work exactly like participation, so that you can
   see how everything works (including what your data and video downloads will
   look like) without having to actually start your study. And you have the
   option to share your study preview so that other experimenters can access
   it to give feedback!
   - The MIT’s Quest for Intelligence “Bridge” program has been working on
   evaluating solutions for* automated gaze coding* of developmental video,
   using datasets from Lookit and from Virginia Marchman’s lab. The most
   promising starting point, OpenGaze
   <https://perceptual.mpi-inf.mpg.de/opengaze-toolkit-released/>, has
   proven extremely hard to get running at all; they're still trying, but also
   exploring some other avenues. A visiting PhD student from Antonio
   Torralba's group here at MIT will be working on using an entirely new
   approach (reflection of the screen on the eye), which I think will be a
   longer-term solution if it works out. I do still think we need a dedicated
   person on this project, but realistically this is on hold for now given the
   pandemic and general disruption to labs.
   - A bunch more technical progress has happened in the background. It's
   not very exciting to tell you bugs you didn't know existed are fixed... but
   they
   <https://github.com/lookit/lookit-api/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aclosed>
   are
   <https://github.com/lookit/ember-lookit-frameplayer/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aclosed>
   .

*Funding:*

   - Lookit is part of a collaborative Simons proposal to pilot a cognitive
   task battery (approximate number, prosocial agent preferences, visual
   prediction, CDI, ...) in infant sibs of kids with autism.
   - We have funding for Rico and me for at least the next 12-18 months,
   but are still looking for ways to hire other necessary staff (recruitment,
   study support, someday ideally another developer), include more students,
   bring in consultants as needed, etc. We're working with MIT Open Learning
   on a broader fundraising strategy, but for now, *if you have a project
   you plan to run on Lookit and you're applying for funding*, we'd be
   grateful to hear about it and discuss writing in some appropriate amount of
   support for the platform!

*What's next:*

   - Before launch we have a few features to finish up, but our major
   priority is getting an *independent review of potential security issues*
   (risk assessment/scan, penetration testing). We're interviewing several
   companies now; administrative issues regarding setting up a contract while
   everything's shut down are the major unknown that will affect launch
   timing.
   - One of my priorities is adding experimental components to cover
   typical things people want to do on Lookit. If you have an idea of the
   study designs you want to run, it’d be really helpful to comment here
   <https://github.com/lookit/ember-lookit-frameplayer/issues/72>
   describing functionality you would ideally like.

*Learn more / get involved:*

   -

   Information about the current status of the project, our longer-term
   plans, how IRB approval works, etc. is available on the "research-resources"
   Github repo and wiki <https://github.com/lookit/research-resources/wiki>
   .
   -

   Documentation <https://lookit.readthedocs.io/en/develop/> about using
   Lookit
   <https://lookit.github.io/ember-lookit-frameplayer/modules/frames.html>
   -

   Development planning is organized on Github Issues on the various
   Lookit-related repositories <https://github.com/lookit>. Check out
   what’s planned when under “projects,” add your own feature requests, or
   pick something to work on!

all the best,
Kim

---
Kim Scott
Research scientist | Early Childhood Cognition Lab | MI
*T*W: www.mit.edu/~kimscott | Participate: https://lookit.mit.edu