[lookit-research] feedback on list of conditions for screening participants

Kim Scott kimscott at mit.edu
Tue Jun 18 14:51:45 EDT 2019

Hi folks,

We're in the process of adding a new feature to Lookit
<https://github.com/lookit/lookit-api/issues/141>: allowing parents to
indicate particular conditions that apply to their children and/or family,
and researchers to use those in eligibility criteria for studies.

We could use your advice on what conditions/circumstances to include. Below
are initial drafts of things that could be checked off per child & per
family. Note that this is meant to support recruitment and basic
eligibility criteria; studies working with special populations would likely
need additional information that could be obtained at the start of the
study. *What other things would you find useful to have on such a list?*
Are there any you think shouldn't be included? You can answer by email or on
Github <https://github.com/lookit/lookit-api/issues/141>.

This is a bit further off, but also feel free to let us know if there are
standard survey-based measures that you often administer (e.g. language
inventories) in conjunction with experimental tasks. (We're considering
eventually having some surveys available to participants and the results
available to all Lookit researchers, with individual researchers able to
require that e.g. as part of their study you complete Survey A.)

best,
Kim

---
Kim Scott
Research scientist | Early Childhood Cognition Lab | MIT
Please note: I am on half-time parental leave through August 13 and may be
slower to respond.

------------------------

*Draft per-child list:*

Autism Spectrum Disorder
Asperger's Syndrome
Down Syndrome
Williams Syndrome
Stroke
Blind
Visual Impairment
Deaf
Hearing Impairment
Dyslexia
Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder
Learning Disability
Generalized Anxiety Disorder
Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
Panic Disorder
Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
Social Phobia/Social Anxiety Disorder
Depression
Other Mood Disorder
Allergies
Fetal Alcohol Syndrome
Epilepsy
Diabetes
Other Chronic Medical Condition
Other Genetic Condition
Gifted/advanced learning needs
Adopted
Multiple birth (twin, triplet, higher order)
Has older sibling(s)
Has younger sibling(s)

We also already ask:
- Birthdate (used for age-based inclusion criteria)
- Gestational age at birth in weeks (<=24 grouped together, >=40 grouped
together, NA/not sure option)
- Sex (male, female, other, prefer not to answer - advice on inclusivity
without being invasive here is also welcome, keeping in mind parents are
answering for young children)
- Freeform notes about "anything else we should know"

*Draft per-family list (currently just the demographic survey):*

- Languages spoken in the home, checkboxes from list of 64 most commonly
spoken languages
- # of children in the home and birthdates
- # of parents/guardians in the home
- Country (+ state if US)
- Urban/rural/suburban
- Answering parent's approximate age + gender
- Educational attainment for parent + spouse/partner (if applicable)
- Approximate yearly family income
- Categories family identifies as, w/ checkboxes for White,
Hispanic/Latino/Spanish origin, Black/African American, Asian, American
Indian/Alaska Native, Middle Eastern/North African, Native Hawaiian/Other
Pacific Islander, Another race/ethnicity/origin. (Taken from US census
proposal after our earlier freeform question was hard to process)
- Approximate # of children's books in the home