[lookit-research] Call for online study ideas - what would you do with Lookit?

Kim Scott kimscott at mit.edu
Wed Apr 25 12:47:49 EDT 2018

Dear colleagues,

If you could easily collect video data online from hundreds of infant or
child participants in their own homes... what questions would you answer?

I run MIT's online developmental lab Lookit, where we're working to make
this a reality. Families participate in studies at lookit.mit.edu, while
webcam video of the child's responses is streamed back to the lab for later
analysis - looking measures, verbal responses, etc. Researchers specify the
study protocol, start/stop data collection, and download data on an
experimenter section of the site.

Our plan is to make Lookit available as a data collection commons for all
developmental researchers. We're currently still just working with alpha
testers as software development proceeds. (For more info or to get progress
updates, see the resources here: https://lookit.mit.edu/contact_us/)

We'd love to hear what you'd use Lookit for, for two reasons:
- to make sure that *our efforts prioritize the needs of the community*
- *to show potential donors that people really would do cool stuff* with
Lookit if it were available

Maybe you have an idea that would require...
- a lot of conditions to establish a graded effect
- kids with many different accents/dialects or in different climates
- many repeated sessions with the same child to try out an intensive
intervention
- 50 different language pairs spoken by bilingual kids
- studying behavior just before and just after naptime
- letting parents pick out examples of the "best" of their toddler's
productive vocabulary
- working with newborns

Or maybe you just want to norm some stimuli or replicate a finding, but it
feels like that's not worth the amount of time it would take in the lab.

*If you have an idea for a study to run on Lookit, please fill out the
survey here: https://goo.gl/forms/cGpQNPHXSsZmc75W2
<https://goo.gl/forms/cGpQNPHXSsZmc75W2> *

Please feel free to share with students and colleagues in related fields!

thanks,
Kim

---
Kim Scott
Research scientist | Early Childhood Cognition Lab | MIT