[lookit-research] Update on multi-lab support & advance online publication of Lookit test study papers

Kim Scott kimscott at mit.edu
Thu Jan 19 15:30:19 EST 2017

Hi folks,

Results of the three case studies/conceptual replications we tried on the
original Lookit prototype are now available online--they'll be in the first
issue of *Open Mind*:

Lookit (Part 1): A New Online Platform for Developmental Research
<http://www.mitpressjournals.org/doi/abs/10.1162/OPMI_a_00002#.WIEazpIaG6l>

Lookit (Part 2): Assessing the Viability of Online Developmental Research,
Results From Three Case Studies
<http://www.mitpressjournals.org/doi/abs/10.1162/OPMI_a_00001#.WIEa0pIaG6l>

Rhodri Cusack's group has also been working on testing infants online--they
have some really impressive (& granular) looking-time results that just
came out! (Thanks very much to Kilian Semmelmann for letting me know about
this work.)

Tran, M., Cabral, L., Patel, R., & Cusack, R. (2017). Online recruitment
and testing of infants with Mechanical Turk. Journal of Experimental Child
Psychology, 156, 168-178. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jecp.2016.12.003

With support the Center for Open Science, I'm now primarily focusing on
setting up the platform to allow other labs to post studies online. We're
getting started by implementing a few studies *for* other labs (gradually
increasing their involvement in the programming) to better structure some
of the basic frames and explore what problems come up; we're booked up
approximately until I get return from maternity leave in June. At that
point we'll likely have room for more test studies, so get in touch if
there's something you'd be interested in trying out! (Simpler and
lower-stakes are better, i.e. "we just want to see how this existing
paradigm works online" is a better fit at this point than "we need 500
premature newborns by August but that's going to be hard in the lab."
You'll need a researcher with a strong programming background in any
language plus some familiarity with Javascript/CSS/HTML.)

Although I'm taking a step back from the infant physics study to develop
the platform itself, we're still always looking for participants -- if you
have friends with infants 4-12 months who might be interested, please feel
free to point them https://lookit.mit.edu to check out the study! (And if
you do, also let me know so I can be appropriately eternally grateful :) )

--kim

---
Kim Scott
Ph.D. candidate | Early Childhood Cognition Lab | MIT
kimscott at mit.edu | 626 316 2405 | www.mit.edu/~kimscott/
<http://www.mit.edu/%7Ekimscott/>