[lookit-research] Update: Lookit IRB protocol

Kim Scott kimscott at mit.edu
Tue Dec 12 12:23:28 EST 2017

Hi folks,

A quick update about progress on turning the Lookit platform into a
resource for all researchers:

*IRB protocol for the platform:* I'm currently working with our IRB (and
will then be working with MIT's General Counsel) on how to handle Lookit as
a platform. The current plan is for the *platform* and associated research
to be covered under an IRB protocol at MIT. Individual labs running studies
would apply to their own IRBs for approval, and would receive access only
to their own data and account/child/demographic info for Lookit
participants who choose to participate in their own studies. They'd also
sign an institutional agreement about use of the platform (similar to the
Databrary agreement, or agreements some institutions have with e.g.
Qualtrics).

One snag is that we probably can't actively recruit for individual studies
from here - we could only recruit for the platform more generally. MIT
would consider that part of the individual study, and we'd need to get on
that protocol (and probably have MIT cede to the other institution on it).
This should still work though - especially depending on how strictly that's
interpreted.

*How you can help if you have 20 minutes:* Look through the draft protocol
& user agreement
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Jb2F7FPwhIJ-kb3AXlqvhuC9wOXpU4uINUPj0VjQj8E/edit?usp=sharing>.
(Note that this is written to be somewhat more permissive than we expect
will be allowed - e.g., we expect recruitment will be restricted a bit.)
Add comments or let me know if:
- There's something you'd want to do on Lookit that wouldn't be allowed as
written
- You see other problems or think something we're proposing to allow is a
Bad Idea
- You have ideas for streamlining/simplifying the process or preparing for
potential future uses

*How you can help if you have (/your lab manager has) an hour or two:* Talk
with your friendly neighborhood IRB rep about what it would entail to start
using Lookit at your institution. Let me know what they say and what
concerns come up!

thanks everyone! stay tuned for more ways to get involved soon...

Kim

---
Kim Scott
Research scientist | Early Childhood Cognition Lab | MIT
Participate: https://lookit.mit.edu | Meetings: https://doodle.com/kimscott