[Leonardo/ISAST Network] Leonardo Network Newsletter | June 15, 2010

Leonardo/ISAST isast at leonardo.info
Wed Jun 16 16:56:43 EDT 2010

Email not displaying correctly? View it in your browser: http://
www.leonardo.info/e-LNN/issue_6-15-10.html

June 15, 2010

This email should be sent only to those who wish to receive it.
Information on how to unsubscribe is included in the footer below.

Support Leonardo

Leonardo/ISAST is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization. We rely on the
support of our community. Support Leonardo with a donation today!

Did you know? Another easy way to support Leonardo is to shop on
Amazon. Leonardo/ISAST will receive referral fees on anything you buy
from Amazon if you enter the Amazon site through our Associate Member
referral link. Start by browsing titles in the Leonardo Book Series.

Leonardo On-Line

More news and announcements are available on the What's New page on
Leonardo On-Line.

All past issues of the Leonardo Network Newsletter are available on
the Leonardo web site.

GLOBAL WARNING SYMPOSIUM 2010
ARTISTS, SCIENTISTS AND ENVIRONMENTAL ACTIVISM

ART, SCIENCE AND THE ENVIRONMENT
FROM THE LEONARDO AND LMJ ARCHIVES
Leading up to the Global Warning Symposium, we will be publishing
abstracts from papers that have been published in Leonardo and LMJ
over the years on art, science and the environment. Many of these
papers are available for free to current Leonardo and LMJ
subscribers. Papers published before 2005 are available through the
JSTOR digital archive.

"Notes on Eco-Logic: Environmental Artwork, Visual Philosophy and
Global Perspective," by Agnes Denes
ABSTRACT: The author, a visual artist, discusses briefly her
ecological and philosophical concerns and demonstrates, using
excerpts from texts describing some of her large-scale projects, how
this new art form can have a profound impact on human values,
consciousness and our collective destiny. [This paper was originally
published in Leonardo Vol. 26, No. 5, 1993, and is currently
available through the JSTOR digital archive.]

"Atmospherics/Weather Works: A Spatialized Meteorological Data
Sonification Project," by Andrea Polli
ABSTRACT: Atmospherics/Weather Works is a performance, installation
and distributed software project for the sonification of storms and
other meteorological events, generated directly from data produced by
a highly detailed and physically accurate simulation of the weather.
[This paper was originally published in Leonardo Vol. 38, No. 1,
2005, and is currently available to Leonardo and LMJ subscribers
through the MIT Press web site.]

Find out more about how to access these articles

OTHER EVENTS

NEXT LASER: JULY 12, 2010, UNIVERSITY OF SAN FRANCISCO
Attention Bay Area readers! Join us for the next Leonardo Art Science
Evening Rendezvous (LASER), July 12, 2010, at the University of San
Francisco, San Francisco, CA. Feature presentations include Linda
Gass, "Can Art Change Our Water Consciousness?"; Peter Foucault,
"Systems and Interactivity in Drawing" and Cindy Stokes, "Dynamic
Form" Find out more

PUBLICATIONS

LEONARDO 43:3 NOW AVAILABLE
Inside Leonardo 43:3: Cinderella on the Moon: Now anyone can fill
Neil Armstrong's glass slipper, er, moon boot with Danqing Shi's
installation/game. "Blobitectural" preservation: Lawrence Bird and
Guillaume LaBelle on documenting and conserving Greg Lynn's embryonic
architecture. Fresh eyes on Op Art: Squinting at spatial frequency
and adjusting the apparent contrast bring a new appreciation of
Bridget Riley's Fall. A language labyrinth: A textual maze melds the
physical and the virtual in building_space_with_words. Find out more

LEONARDO REVIEWS INTRODUCES THE LEONARDO REVIEWS QUARTERLY
Leonardo Reviews is the work of an international panel of scholars
and professionals invited from a wide range of disciplines to review
books, exhibitions, CD-ROMs, Web sites, and conferences. Leonardo
Reviews publishes all reviews received from the panel monthly on the
Leonardo Reviews web site. In addition, four times a year a selection
of reviews is printed in Leonardo print journal and now in the
Leonardo Reviews Quarterly (L|R|Q) which will be publishing an even
larger selection as a printable PDF together with introductory
material and overview essays. Find out more

OPPORTUNITIES AND COMMUNITY ANNOUNCEMENTS

LOOKING FOR: VISUAL ARTISTS WHO HAVE HAD PREVIOUS NURSING/CARING
BACKGROUND
I am a South African artist doing post-graduate research at
Stellenbosch University (South Africa). I am exploring whether a
previous nursing or caring experience could alter the perception of
visual art. Find out more

The Leonardo Network Newsletter is a bi-weekly publication of
Leonardo/The International Society for the Arts, Sciences and
Technology (Leonardo/ISAST) and includes news, events and publication
announcements, calls for submissions, opportunities and more.

Current and past issues of the Leonardo Network Newsletter can be
viewed online:
http://www.leonardo.info/e-LNN/e-LNN.html

Join as an Associate Member and receive a range of benefits including
discounts, special invitations and more.

Subscribe to, or unsubscribe from this list.

Our mailing address is:
Leonardo/ISAST
211 Sutter St, Suite 501
San Francisco, CA 94108
U.S.A.

Our website:
http://www.leonardo.info

Our email:
isast at leonardo.info

Copyright (C) 2010 Leonardo/ISAST. All rights reserved.