[Leonardo/ISAST Network] Leonardo Art Science Evening Rendezvous meeting, San Francisco, Monday, September 8th

Leonardo/ISAST isast at leonardo.info
Fri Sep 5 14:52:59 EDT 2008

Join us for another exciting Leonardo Art/Science Evening Rendezvous
(LASER) at the downtown campus of San Francisco State University.

Leonardo Art Science Evening Rendezvous (LASER)
SFSU Downtown Campus, San Francisco, CA
Monday, September 8, 2008
6-10pm

LASER is a bimonthly series of lectures and presentations organized by
Piero Scaruffi on behalf of Leonardo/ISAST. Space is limited. To RSVP,
email p at scaruffi.com

6:00pm-6:30pm: Socializing/networking

6:45-7:15pm: Thomas Zimmerman IBM Almaden Research Center, on "Music as
the Mother of Invention"

Many of my inventions started as input devices for musical instruments.
The DataGlove was a means to play air guitar. The Personal Area Network
was a means to play air drums. I shall discuss the development of input
devices for electronic musical instruments and how they contributed to
inventions.

7:15-7:45pm: Sharon Siskin, of WEAD

Over the past 20 years my studio art has had clear and sometimes subtle
overlaps with science. Some recent projects make visual the detritus our
family produces in the process of raising twin daughters. I will be
showing documentation of a variety of recent and past gallery projects;
from work that resulted in the creation of a garden at an AIDS hospice,
to installations that combined reused, altered X-rays and scientific
paraphernalia to address issues related to food and my ethnic identity,
loss, memory and healing.

7:45-8:00pm: Break

8:00-8:20pm: Deborah Munk, of the San Francisco Dump

An overview of the Artist in Residence Program at SF Recycling &
Disposal and will focus on a few of the 70 artists who have had
residencies. I will also discuss recycling, the Eastern Pacific Garbage
Patch and sustainability.

8:20-8:40pm: William Hsu and Matt Heckert of the Multimedia &
Visualization Lab at SFSU on "Sound Machines and Computer Control"

An overview of several mechanical sound installations and performances
they have collaborated on over a 5 year period: the
Rotifiers/Centripetal Sound, the Fencers, and the Chainboxes.

8:40pm: Piero Scaruffi on the next Leonardo Art/Science evening

8:45-9:45pm: Discussions, more socializing