[LCM Events] Sonic Dialogues @ MIT on April 16

Loai Naamani loai at MIT.EDU
Wed Apr 4 03:19:03 EDT 2007

 <http://web.mit.edu/lebanon>

rami khalifé & kinan azmeh in
Sonic Dialogues
a fundraiser concert

april 16 | 8pm | kresge | mit | 48 mass ave (map
<http://whereis.mit.edu/map-jpg?selection=W16> )
$10 (students) | $25 (general public) | buy <http://web.mit.edu/lebanon>
ticket(s)

       “The coincidence of our musical pedigree and development, being two
Arab musicians with Juilliard School education, made it inevitable that we
meet on more than one plane. Personal friendship and artistic affinity
together led to a common creative vision and a joint professional pursuit
that we find ever enriching and refreshing.

Our music tends to walk a fine line between the composed and the improvised,
and our musical vocabulary reflects this delicate posture. The music we love
to make is both broad and personal, anchored in tradition yet wide open to
the full sweep of the contemporary lexicon. As much as our music gravitates
towards the Syria-Lebanon region, our sails navigate the wider Arab musical
seascape as well as the world musical scene that we have been exploring,
relishing, and absorbing.

It has been said that music is the art of becoming. In our work, the
struggle of becoming is also a struggle for encompassing and embracing
otherness and difference, giving little heed to stylistic labels. Is our
music Western or Arabic, traditional or contemporary, classical or techno,
Acoustic or electronica? Are we a duo, or two soloists in a contest?

We are two twenty-first century troubadours whose ambition is to create
music that is true to the constant becoming of our existence. In that, we
find infinite joy.”

Kinan Azmeh (Clarinet) & Rami Khalifé (Piano)
www.kinanazmeh.com <http://www.kinanazmeh.com/>  | www.ramikhalife.com
<http://www.ramikhalife.com/>

all concert proceeds will support non-profits in Lebanon as part of the
'Boston to Lebanon' <http://www.bostontolebanon.com>  campaign
Lebanese Club at MIT © 2007| http://web.mit.edu/lebanon