[LCM Events] Conference Tufts University Jan. 25-26 2007

Tufts Conference Bureau conferences at tufts.edu
Fri Oct 6 14:50:35 EDT 2006

*T U F T S   U N I V E R S I T Y *

*Fares** Center**
for Eastern Mediterranean Studies
*

September 30, 2006

Dear Colleague,

We are pleased to invite you to attend a conference entitled /The "War
on Terrorism": Where Do We Stand?/ which will be held at the Cabot
Intercultural Center at Tufts University, 160 Packard Avenue, Medford,
MA, on Thursday, January 25 (starting at 3:00 pm) and all day on Friday,
January 26, 2007.

The purpose of this conference will be to assess the current state of
the "War on Terrorism"-- its causes, its costs, its impact, and proposed
solutions. The conference will start with a keynote address by Robert
Pape, Professor of Political Science, University of Chicago, and include
sessions on the topic's legal and religious aspects, on economic,
social, political, and media issues, and on U.S. foreign policy and
terrorism. Seymour M. Hersh, Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist and
contributor to /The New Yorker/ magazine, will offer concluding remarks.

The conference is being sponsored by the Fares Center for Eastern
Mediterranean Studies at Tufts, with the co-sponsorship of the Provost's
Office, the Wedge Foundation (Fares Family), the Jonathan M. Tisch
College of Citizenship and Public Service, the Fletcher School, and the
International Relations Program of Tufts University. The conference is
an important component of our efforts to advance students' understanding
of political, historical, social, demographic, and economic issues of
the Middle East through exposure to the views of distinguished world
leaders, academics, and policy makers. We wish to present our students
with a broad range of cultural perspectives and political opinions.

More information about the conference, including a current list of
topics and speakers, is available at http://farescenter.tufts.edu. If
you are interested in registering for the conference, please contact the
Tufts University Conference Center by fax at 617-627-3856, or by
telephone 617-627-3568, or e-mail to conferences at tufts.edu
<mailto:conferences at tufts.edu>.

I speak for everyone at Tufts when I say that we would be delighted and
honored by your presence.

 Sincerely,

Leila Fawaz
Issam M. Professor of Lebanese and Eastern Mediterranean Studies
Founding Director, Fares Center for Eastern Mediterranean Studies

 *
Cabot Intercultural Center, 160 Packard Avenue, Medford, Massachusetts 02155
Phone: 617-627-6560 Fax: 617-627-3461 Website: http://farescenter.tufts.edu
*

*/
Problems viewing this newsletter? Visit our online version.
http://farescenter.tufts.edu/conferences/index.asp/*