[LCM Events] Reply re Tuesday's talk

R//H rhartm1 at yahoo.com
Wed May 11 22:01:48 EDT 2005

  The freedom to admire Michel Aoun and/or the
Phalangists is unarguable. The reason I brought them
up was because of the two following pejorative
characterizations that were stated loudly during the
talk, and that have negative consequences as far as
making political and historical progress is concerned:

  1) via the Ambassador: "the Christians are very,
very close-minded..."
  2) via Professor Elaine Hagopian: "the right-wing
christian extremists who have collaborated with
Zionists and have failed..."

 I am a Maronite from Kisrwen, Mount Lebanon where
even a maronite from outside Kisrwen is considered a
stranger (said "ghreeb" in the local accent), and I
truly don't mind their labeling. The concern is over
the message it conveys, the gist of which being that
the Christians are isolationists and have a
predisposition to collaborate with the jews against
the muslims. They seem to believe in deeply rooted
mentalities that can take the shape of political
movements and alliances such as Phalangists-Zionists,
Lebanon vs. Syria... therefore, intrinsically bound to
be recurrent in history. For instance, the question
over Aoun would be: would he make peace with Israel
way before making peace with Syria?

 So here is a clarification to the concern I
communicated:

 Being perceived as isolationists and traitors does
not allow for open communications and ultimately for
a democratic participation in power.

 It is a fact that from a religious standpoint, the
christian extremists stress that jews and christians
descended from two brothers. It is also a fact that
throughout history, the judeo-christian alliances
aligned over a West-East axis, the Near and Middle
East being predominantly muslim.

 It is my position that at this point of mingling
between all populations on the globe, all of these
issues are still a work in progress. Change and
adaptation are the essence of life, the Lebanese
people is all for it. History and political studies
are reports of the past. People should now be
empowered to reinvent the future, instead of submit
to living it as a consequence of the past.

So let's look at sectarianism as having built a strong
sense of identity in these various communities all of
which still being alive and kicking, and let's now
unite (either against the real enemies, or if they
vanish, just for the sake of keeping a great place to
live on this planet). I mentioned the Irish who are
the stereotype of sectarians, but who managed
 politically to rule across the US.
 On a broader level as well, unity in the area will
provide clout and security against the ones who have
elitist and expansionist intentions and goals, thus
who simply threaten our free and proud daily
existence.

Now we can disagree on who is elitist and
expansionist!

 --Randa

--- Mohamad El-Husseini <abitdodgy at hotmail.com> wrote:

Randa,

I have a slight clarification on the following
statement you made:

"My understanding is that none of the christians among
you admires the phalangists or Michel Aoun. The
judeo-christian alliances are common in history, but
one should believe in, and work towards having a..."

For those that do not know, a lot of people admire
Michel Aoun in Lebanon and abroad for various reasons,
and thus was proven the case when around a quarter of
a million people attended his return to Beirut on May
7th. What I wanted to clarify is that Michel Aoun did
not work with Israel, and adamantly refused to do so
during the War of Liberation against the Syrian army
despite immanent defeat. Michel Aoun is also running
on a secular platform in the coming elections.