[LCM Events] Today's talk

Carl E. Nehme nehme at MIT.EDU
Wed May 11 20:56:29 EDT 2005

Thank you very much Mohamad for the clarification, i was actually going to send
a similar email.

In fact, just to set the record straight, Michel Aoun was supported by the
palestinians, because they saw in him a non-sectarian leader who was proud of
arabism. In his fight against the syrians, the palestinians were supportive,
since they were fighting the syrians themselves due to some disagreements
between the PLO and the late syrian president. So Michel Aoun is the farthest
from having a judeo alliance.

Furthermore, not all phalangists are pro-israeli, in fact, most of them are not.
It was the Lebanese forces that emerged from the phalangists that allied with
the israelis at one point. Furthermore, the phalangists are not according to
their manifesto a christian party, although most of their members were
christian.

I myself am not associated with any party, however I think it is only fair to
clarify the ideologies of the different parties since I believe all Lebanese
people are good, Muslim, Christian and Druze alike. However, it is unfortunate
that in our bloody civil war, the different parties concentrated on their
differences, instead of the numerous similarities that their share.

Carl Nehme