[LCM Articles] Lebanese Elections - By Fatina Salaheddine (Publisher; Al-Sahafa Newspaper)

Fatina Salaheddine fatina at al-sahafa.us
Mon May 4 20:45:18 EDT 2009

LEBANESE ELECTIONS
By; Fatina Salaheddine; Publisher (Al-Sahafa Newspaper USA)

So I was asked if I think that as a Lebanese-American if I go vote in Lebanon this June, if my vote will count, and if my vote will make a difference….

To put it simply, NO.  No, I don’t think that my vote, nor do I think that even the upcoming Lebanese Elections in Beirut will make any DIFFERENCE for the country whatsoever.  Until the day that LEBANESE will vote for what’s best for the country of LEBANON and for the whole of LEBANON ONLY, and NOT to mafia leaders on opposing sides who only care to garner votes for their sick "love of personal power" and their transparent belief in their “religious hierarchy”  – the approaching LEBANESE ELECTIONS will not improve the country or its citizens.

The country is suffering from “Blind Eye” syndrome.  The Political candidates running for election or re-election have nothing to say about solving the problems of the high unemployment  (including college graduates), high cost of educating the Lebanese youth, stabilizing the electricity in the country (in some parts of Lebanon, electricity still goes out after a few hours each day, and people rely on their unreliable power generators), feeding the poor and the elderly (yes, there are many Lebanese who are so poor they cannot even afford to eat and rely on their kind neighbors or local churches and mosques for a decent meal), fixing the internet availability to all its citizens, and breaking the outrageous monopoly of the mobile companies and their enormous charges.

What about regulating the medicines/prescriptions from pharmacies who sell tampered medicine to the innocent sick?  What about getting the 100’s of orphaned children off the streets of Beirut (who are not only dragging down the Touristic image of Lebanon –but will eventually cost society a huge price to pay as these abused orphans pay back society with their diploma that they earned off the streets of Beirut; begging, robbing, stealing, raping, and eventually becoming con artists to just survive and get through their dysfunctional and abandoned lives). What about providing a social security system for its retired citizens, and providing clean water availability to all of the country (and yes, this includes the South of Lebanon where Hizbollah seems to have taken the place of the Lebanese govt. in providing clean water, free hospitals, free medicine, homes and jobs to the people of the South– all whilst giving their recipients a reason to keep supporting them.  Ever heard of the saying, “kiss the hand that feeds you”?).  Why aren’t the candidates discussing what they can do to solve the high cost of medical care (FYI - did you know that Lebanese still have to pay 100% of their surgeries upfront at the hospital – or they will be denied their healthcare?) – all this and NO ONE seems to be asking these candidates about any of these vital social conditions, not even the Lebanese media reporters or writers with a conscience question these candidates on what they plan on doing to solve these numerous issues!  Even the people, “the suffering citizens” living under these poor third-world country conditions, seem to also be suffering the “Blind-Eye” Syndrome!  Will the real Lebanese citizen, please SPEAK UP!

Instead we see the Lebanese politicians hogging the microphones and staging Press Conferences every chance they get, to slam the rival side (whether it be March 14 or March 8) with rhetoric about how if YOU out there listening are Lebanese and want to maintain being a “true Lebanese” then YOU as a Lebanese NEED to vote for me, verses the other opposing side!  Sounds preposterous?  Yes, of coarse it does – and yet not one member of the Lebanese media or private citizen speaks up about the real issues facing the entire country of Lebanon and its fantastically religiously diverse people...  all in fear of their bosses who sign their paychecks.

ELECTION DAY will be another SAD DAY for the Lebanese living under all this political mess, and trying to maintain living a decent life with such an uncivilized class of people - calling themselves “the government".

I wonder, if we asked all the supposedly "dignified" Lebanese from around the world - that are getting large sums of money, fully paid travel and lodging arrangements to come to Beirut and VOTE for their opposing sides (March 14 or March 8 side) - to please write an article and define the difference between the words:  MAFIA and GOVERNMENT and the difference of these two words in correlation to our dear country of LEBANON. Have they no shame?

If even the Lebanese OUTSIDE OF LEBANON are maintaining this "prejudiced completely insane and backwards mentality" for voting to keep the same prejudiced people in power - what message is this sending for the next generation of Lebanese?

Where did the pre-civil war visionaries of Lebanon disappear to?  Beirut, the capital of Lebanon, was the impressive center of epic free-thought in the Middle East. Artists, philosophers, writers, and professors from all over the world flocked to Beirut, filling café’s and quenching each other’s thirst with their nostalgic memories of what once was, whilst forward ideas of the world were shaped.  My God, what can be achieved in life- including Lebanon- given the free will of a person!

With the upcoming Lebanese Elections, I think to myself - How can Lebanon regain its democratic foundation - if people are going to vote so BLINDLY?   Unfortunately, what seems to be the imminent future, is that those VOTING Lebanese are either getting paid to do it, or are simply illogical about Lebanese internal politics that they just are going to vote for someone - because they either share the same religion or that someone comes from their own city or village in Lebanon.

This whole ridiculousness of Lebanese politicians paying people to come vote for them, instead of it being the other way around, as it is here in the States, where supporters make donations to those candidates they feel best support their interests for the benefit of their country – is so truly backwards.  I don’t understand how the educated, well-traveled, well-versed, tri-lingual speaking Lebanese cannot see and realize this irrationality?  Seriously, sometimes when I try to sort this absurdity out in my mind – I end up with this feeling that maybe the Lebanese actually enjoy the chaotic messy world of politics that they live in.  After all, they know and have the power to speak-up, and to make a difference in their lives and the lives of their children, and yet they choose to keep going in the same direction, generation after generation.

May God bless Lebanon and the citizens of Lebanon who suffer from all this mess under these power hungry politicians.  I pray that God will unfold the diseased eyes and brains and hearts of all the prejudiced and stubborn voters and supporters of LEBANON'S CURRENT OPPOSING SIDES.

Fatina Salaheddine; Publisher (Lebanese-American)
Al-Sahafa Newspaper Corporation
11535 Lorain Avenue  /Suite # 1
Cleveland, Ohio 44111
      Office: (216) 688-0991