[LCM Articles] Yamli's Habib Haddad On World Economic Forum's Young Global Leaders 2009 List

Ghassan Fayad gfayad at MIT.EDU
Wed Feb 25 19:45:13 EST 2009

http://www.startuparabia.com/2009/02/yamlis-habib-haddad-on-world-economic-f
orums-young-global-leaders-2009-list/

Yamli's Habib Haddad On World Economic Forum's Young Global Leaders 2009
List
Mohamed Marwen Meddah <http://www.startuparabia.com/author/mmm/>  | February
25, 2009 - 11:24 pm |
 <http://www.weforum.org/>  The World Economic Forum
<http://www.weforum.org/>  has announced the Young Global Leaders (YGL)
2009. The honour, bestowed each year by the Forum, recognizes and
acknowledges between 200 and 300 outstanding young leaders from around the
world for their professional accomplishments, commitment to society and
potential to contribute to shaping the future of the world.
The Forum has nominated Young Global Leaders from 71 countries, including
business leaders, as well as leaders from government, academia, non-profit
organizations, media and society. The new class represents all regions: East
Asia (54), Europe (58), the Middle East and North Africa (12), North America
(45), South Asia (24), sub-Saharan Africa (20) and Latin America (17). For a
list of YGLs honoured in 2009, click here
<http://www.weforum.org/docs/ygl/YGL_Honorees_2009.pdf> .
 On this list we find one of our very own: Habib Haddad
<http://www.startuparabia.com/database/Habib_Haddad> , co-founder of Yamli
<http://www.startuparabia.com/database/Yamli> . Habib is behind the original
idea behind Yamli, and today drives Yamli's vision of empowering the Arabic
language and users on the web. His responsibilities span from product
strategy and design to business development.
Habib often speaks about early stage development and entrepreneurship, and
has spoken at venues such as the Harvard Business School, Boston College and
the American University of Beirut. He currently sits on the advisory board
of Meedan, a non-profit startup that aims to enable cross-cultural dialogs
online.
Commenting on the nomination, Habib said: "I am honored to be selected as a
Young Global Leader and I am eager to engage with the YGL community. I have
always been passionate about entrepreneurship and hope that along with
fellow YGLs, we will be able to help foster entrepreneurship activities in
the Middle East and North Africa. I am also excited to continue to promote
the Arabic web, which I believe has a bright future lying ahead."
Drawn from a pool of almost 5,000 candidates, the Young Global Leaders 2009
were chosen by a selection committee
<http://www.weforum.org/docs/ygl/YGL_Selection_Committee.pdf> , chaired by
H.M. Queen Rania Al Abdullah of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan, comprising
31 eminent international media leaders.
The 2009 honourees will become part of the broader Forum of Young Global
Leaders that currently comprises 480 outstanding individuals. The YGLs
convene at biannual summits, as well as Forum events and meetings throughout
the year, and collaborate on initiatives to tackle some of the key
challenges of our generation.
Big congratulations to Habib Haddad for this honour; it's very well
deserved.