[LCM Articles] Power 100 - The World's Most Powerful Arabs

Loai Naamani loai at MIT.EDU
Thu Apr 10 10:34:20 EDT 2008

Power 100 - The World's Most Powerful Arabs

Talal Malik
Sunday, 30 March 2008

Complete Interactive List Available Here:
http://www.arabianbusiness.com/power100/list

Welcome to the Power 100 2008 - The World's 100 Most Powerful Arabs. The
list, claimed to be the most comprehensive compilation to date, includes
influential Arabs who have had the greatest impact in the past year as
sportsmen, doctors, scientists, academics, poets and artists - and many
more.

But first, how was the list chosen, you may ask? Anil Bhoyrul, Group Editor
of Arabian Business magazine, explains further:

"For the purpose of this year's list (as with every year), we have defined
it simply as influence - the ability to influence the thoughts and actions
of others," Bhoyrul said. "Or put crudely, if one man dyed his hair green,
how many others would follow? The more that did, the more powerful that man
is."

This year's list includes 40 new entries of Arabs who have made their mark
in the year and deserve recognition for their achievements. It deliberately
does not include royalty, religious leaders or politicians, with the
exception of one man who Arabian Business believes should be on the list
purely for his business and related charitable achievements.

Taking pole position is Saudi Arabia's Prince Alwaleed bin Talal, who
remains steady for the past four years as the World's Most Powerful Arab.
Last year, in Arabian Business' Rich List, Prince Alwaleed was also the
World's Richest Arab, with a fortune estimated at US$29.5 billion. It is for
his business acumen as well as his considerable charities in Africa -
largely unnoticed - that he retains the top spot.

The highest new entry comes in at number 2 with Iraqi footballer Younes
Mahmoud claiming his title as the World's Second Most Powerful Arab - due to
a header which allowed Iraq to clinch its first Asian Cup victory.

"His winning goal against Saudi Arabia last year in the Asian Cup final had
the immediate effect of bringing out Sunnis and Shiites, hand in hand in
celebration, on the streets of Baghdad," Bhoyrul said about Mahmoud's
top-end entry. "Could George Bush ever achieve that?"

The Most Powerful Arab Woman is Nadine Labaki, one of the most famous
directors in the Arabic music video industry, often credited with bringing
new artists into the Middle East music scene. Her film Caramel, a romantic
comedy set in Beirut which Labaki co-wrote, directed and starred in the
film, met with critical acclaim across the world following its premiere at
the 2007 Cannes Film Festival.

With a fashion designer at number 9, Bhoyrul explains why Lebanese fashion
maestro Elie Saab hits the top 10. "Not only is he dressing up celebrities
like Halle Berry, Christina Aguilera, Beyonce, Catherine Zeta Jones and
Elizabeth Hurley, but Saab is setting the fashion world alight from New York
to Tokyo, changing the way millions of people around the globe dress."

The highest gainer from last year is Akbar al Baker, Who has rocketed up the
chart 84 places to 14 in his role as the CEO of Qatar Airways. When he
joined the airline in 1996, it was a local carrier that few travellers
outside the region would have heard about. Qatar Airways these days has
ordered a total of 80 Airbus A350s and three additional A380 superjumbos for
a cool US$16bn, making it one of the world's biggest customers for planes.

As for Dubai Investment Capital Sameer Al Ansari coming in at number 11,
Bhoyrul responds, " What other businessman in the world, never mind Arab
businessman, could have inspired 40,000 Liverpool soccer fans to chant his
name every weekend?"

This year's Power 100 is more powerful than ever. You'll find a host of
online exclusives, including stories about the massive 40 new entries in
this year's list; a trend of Arab pop culture influencing the list; Lebanon
and UAE dominating the entries; stunning and exclusive photos essays
featuring the World's Most Powerful Arabs, The World's Most Powerful Arab
Women, Rich...and Powerful featuring Arabs who made both our exclusive lists
and for fans of pop singers, The Most Powerful Arab Singers, headlined by
Egyptian superstar Amr Diab and Lebanese super-songstress Elissa.

To the right of this introduction you will find the main command panel,
headed by the list of the world's most powerful Arabs. Click on any one and
you will be taken to a full biography, detailing why Arabian Business has
chosen for these men and women to be recognised for their influence and
achievements. With fully interactive rankings not only can you see a list of
the world's most powerful Arabs, but you can tailor your list to see:

* The most powerful from/ in specific countries - who are most powerful
Iraqis or Emiratis, for example

* The most powerful in specific industry sectors - from real estate to media
and marketing * Rank movements of the most powerful - who has gained from
last year, who has fallen, who has remained steady

* The most powerful in specific industry sectors - from real estate to media
and marketing * Rich ...and powerful - who is featured in both the Power 100
and Rich List

* Who's Hot, Who's Not - interesting facts about our power players in the
Power 100

And if that is not enough interactivity for you, there's the map. Simply
move your cursor around the Middle East and North Africa to see which
country, yours or a neighbour, has the most influential Arabs.

Please use the comments section to 'Have your say' on any one of the entries
- or indeed to comment on what you think of the entire story. Controversy is
certainly expected.

"I also know that almost every single reader of Arabian Business will
disagree with practically every name and every ranking in the list - some
will be hurt, some will be upset, some will be just downright angry,"
Bhoyrul said.

"They shouldn't be - this list is a celebration and showcase of the fabulous
achievements and influence of Arabs on the global stage today."

Nevertheless, some hot topics for you to think about and comment with
insight on include:

* Did we get it right with who we picked for the Power 100 - or wrong?

* Whom should we have included in the Power 100 - and whom should we have
excluded?

* Whom have you heard of in the Power 100 - and whom have you never heard
of?

* Have we been fair with who we have selected - or is their a bias towards a
country or sector?

To gain an overview of the list you could begin with the world's most
powerful Arabs or how we compiled this list. However, the truth on the
Internet is that you don't need to be linear, or be guided. Work backwards,
forwards, click randomly. The best Internet sites allow you to choose your
experience. We have built the Arabian Business Power 100 2008 in a way to
allow you to do exactly that.