[LCM Articles] [Lebanon] Nahr el Bared: Call for Solidarity &Urgent Financial Aid

Danielle C Tarraf dtarraf at cds.caltech.edu
Tue Jun 12 15:39:27 EDT 2007

I am not sure I understand the purpose of your e-mail.

If the purpose of your e-mail is to raise funds for the displaced
Palestinians, I commend you for it. By the same token, I invite you to
participate in raising funds for the families of our Lebanese army martyrs,
who have given what they hold most precious in this ongoing conflict for the
benefit of the Lebanese and Palestinian people alike.

If, on the other hand, the purpose of your e-mail is to create conflict
among the Lebanese and Palestinians, by portraying our army as aggressors
and our country as oppressors of the Palestinian people, I suggest you go
elsewhere with your rhetoric.
(1) Lebanon has given what no other country has given for the Palestinians
and their cause.
(2) The presence of armed Palestinian militias within and outside the camps,
as well as the bar on the Lebanese army entering the camps, which I remind
you are on Lebanese soil, have been and continue to be a source of
instability, as well as a threat to Lebanese and Palestinian civilians alike
for the past 50 years - it is also the reason why the fundamentalist
mercenaries of Fatah El Islam were able to infiltrate and set up base inside
the camp. While it is every country's duty to treat its guests with respect,
it is also every guest's duty to respect the host's laws, national
institutions, and sovereignty over their land.

Finally, criticizing our country for failing to provide adequately, with its
limited means, for the Palestinian guests on our soil is one approach. A
more fruitful approach on your part would be to lobby your and other western
governments, with infinitely more resources than ours, to host the
Palestinian refugees on their soil and provide better standards of living
for them, as they deserve.

Danielle C. Tarraf
Postdoctoral Scholar
Control and Dynamical Systems