[LCM Articles] Lebanese old houses: our memories in peril

Nehme Lebbos nehme.lebbos at iloubnan.info
Tue Dec 4 15:52:55 EST 2007

http://www.iloubnan.info/Lebanese-old-houses-our-memories

by Joëlle Sabella

While the entire world is rediscovering and highlighting its
architectural heritage, the Lebanese are once again distinguishing
themselves, this time by shamelessly destroying their superb traditional
neighborhoods. Constantly higher and more lavish towers are replacing
the ancient Lebanese houses, a symbol of our collective memory. And as
property developers go greedier and politicians more careless, the
beautiful old houses of the early twentieth century slowly and
irreversibly disappear. “In Lebanon, peace has been more devastating
than war”, comments Fadlallah Dagher, a member of APSAD (the Association
for Protecting Natural Sites and Old Buildings in Lebanon) executive
committee. Is it still possible to reverse the trend? And what are the
possible solutions? Some answers are given below.

To date, there is no official survey indicating the exact number and
location of ancient buildings in Beirut, and more generally in Lebanon.
It is however estimated that they represent around 2.5% of real estate.
Furthermore, a study prepared by the APSAD in 1996, upon the request of
then Minister of Culture, Michel Eddé, mentions the existence of 1,019
houses built between 1850 and 1940 in the areas surrounding the
capital’s heart (Zokak el-Blatt- Basta- Sanayeh- Sodeco- Gemmayze…). The
Ministry then intended to rehabilitate “the most interesting buildings”
and to create coherent architectural blocks representing Beirut as in
the ninetieth century. Unfortunately, as soon as it was published, the
APSAD list aroused a wave of discontent, not only among politicians and
property developers, but most of all, among the owners who lacked
interest in preserving their own residences.

Why are Lebanese so indifferent?

For an outsider, the Lebanese’ attitude towards their own architectural
heritage may seem absurd. Serge Yazigi, a town-planner and the director
of Majal (Academic Observatory for Construction and Reconstruction in
Lebanon), tries to explain the phenomenon: “Unlike what happens abroad,
we notice that in our country, the politicians and the property
developers are equally interested in real estate speculations. On top of
that, the houses’ owners have no meaningful economic resources and are
therefore tempted by the enticing offers that are made to them. All
these factors suppress the lobbying of the civil society, which finds
itself unable to halt the real estate pressure”.

What makes things even more difficult, not to say impossible, is the
absence of any relevant legal framework. As a matter of fact, no public
institution in Lebanon is in charge of managing the architectural
heritage and defining the rules for its preservation and restoration. As
for the law, it is, according to Serge Yazigi, “missing, incomplete and
inadequately implemented”. Fadlallah Dagher explains: “In Lebanon, old
historical buildings are covered by the 1933 Law of Antiquities, which
was issued during the French mandate”. This law defines “antiquity” as
“all products of human activity regardless of the civilization they
belong to, dating before 1700”. Refusing to give up, the APSAD
collaborated with Patrimoine Sans Frontières NGO (Heritage without
borders) on a draft law covering, inter alia, the preservation and
management of “an architectural fabric presenting a historical interest”
(Article 1) as well as the owners’ indemnification. As expected, the
draft law that was submitted to the Government in 2001 by the Minister
of Culture, Ghassan Salame, was never put into practice.

Then what are the solutions?

In front of such indifference, it is still possible to protect our
cultural heritage? APSAD Fadlallah Dagher seems disillusioned: “As far
as the APSAD is concerned, our financial resources are rather limited
since we mainly count on the contributions of our 120 members, all
volunteers, and on a small subsidy from the Government. This being said,
any activity aiming to protect the ancient houses should be based on
protecting a coherent group of houses, and not on punctual actions here
and there”. Serge Yazigi agrees with him and suggests the “urban
regeneration” as a solution to the current situation. This means a
global approach combining several complementary activities such as:
frame conservation; the creation of green spaces in old neighborhoods;
and the advertising of houses located in such neighborhoods through
promotional activities targeting both Lebanese and tourists. “We have to
put an end to the “tower complex”, concludes the director of MAJAL. Our
aim is to increase the old houses’ economic value so that their owners
consider them as a source of income and do not feel compelled to sell them”.

“Old memories make great peoples” is the APSAD motto. If the Lebanese
long to be “a great people”, starting to preserve the “short memories”
of the previous century should not be considered as a superfluous step.
Better late than never!