[LCM Articles] We love you Robert Fisk!

Carl Nehme nehme at MIT.EDU
Tue Jul 25 03:53:08 EDT 2006

I agree that we are wasting time having such fruitless discussions as our
country is being destroyed, but having written this email to begin
with, let me
make a couple of points.

First of all, as long as any Lebanese is proud of their Lebanese identity and
respect all their countrymen/women, then they are free to believe
anything else
they wish to believe. I respect everyone's opinion, and i think as
Lebanese, one
way to remedy the ever-existing tension is to stop criticizing others'
beliefs.
I constantly meet people fond of one ideology that express disgust for another
group that believes in a conflicting ideology. This is primitive, because
diversity in beliefs is one of the stepping stones towards democracy.

But for those of you so adamant that we are Phoenician, then why dont you also
consider yourselves to be Roman, or for that matter Greek and if you are so
keen on tracing your identity even further, then you can also call yourselves
descendents of Plankton (no mocking intended). Phoenicians were not placed on
earth by God, they were preexisted by other civilizations and followed by
others thereafter.

The fact is that you can always trace back your origins to all types of
civilizations that existed in your part of the world (and by doing so
choose to
select the one that seems most appealing), but at the end of the day, we
currently exist in the Arab world and portray traits of an Arab civilization,
and I for one think it is nothing to be embarrassed of.

As for the comment as to whether we spoke arabic or not prior to Islam,
it does
not matter, we do speak arabic, and should be proud to speak a language with
the rich history that the Arabic language entails. I for one, think that the
best thing about being Lebanese is the fact that we have this mix of religions
and civilizations, and consider my culture to be that of Islam, Druze, and
Christianity, and would not have at any different. But as I have already
stated, as long as you respect your nation, you are all free to believe as you
see fit.

Carl

--
Carl Nehme