[LCM Articles] Howells Condemns Israeli Action

Loai Naamani loai at MIT.EDU
Sat Jul 22 12:33:52 EDT 2006

Foreign Office minister Kim Howells has criticized Israel's bombardment of
Lebanon, while on a visit to Beirut.

He said Israel had not carried out "surgical strikes" and attacking the
Lebanese nation was not the answer.

Downing Street said the prime minister would stand by Mr Howell's comments,
adding the British government had "always urged restraint on Israel".

Meanwhile thousands of people across the UK are joining demonstrations
against Israeli attacks on Lebanon.

I very much hope that the Americans understand what's happening to Lebanon

Speaking in Beirut, Mr Howells said: "I very much hope that the Americans
understand what's happening to Lebanon.

"The destruction of the infrastructure, the death of so many children and so
many people. These have not been surgical strikes.

"And it's very very difficult I think to understand the kind of military
tactics that have been used.

"You know, if they're chasing Hezbollah, then go for Hezbollah. You don't go
for the entire Lebanese nation."

Mr Howells said attempts were being made to engage with all parties and a
demand for an immediate ceasefire would be a "meaningless gesture".

I very much hope that the Americans understand what's happening to Lebanon

Responding to Mr Howells' criticisms of Israel, Tony Blair's official
spokesman said the prime minister would "not be unhappy about [Mr Howell's]
comments at all".

He said people would always "express themselves in different ways, using
different words".

.

(BBC News)