[LCM Articles] What is wrong with you people??

Elias Muhanna emuhanna at fas.harvard.edu
Tue Jul 18 22:08:10 EDT 2006

Condemning Hezbollah is one thing, and applauding Israeli actions is quite
another. Anyone who imagines that Hezbollah can be "wiped out" by Israel to
usher in a "bright future" for Lebanon, is mistaken, just as his predecessors
were mistaken when they tried to strike a bargain with the Israelis to get rid
of the PLO in 1982. The Lebanese know it, Hezbollah knows it, and I'm sure that
Israel knows it as well.

Whatever you think of Hezbollah, it's hard to imagine that the Israelis actually
believe that they can defeat them with this war, especially as the days plod on
and only civilians are killed.

Thus, it seems that Israel is simply determined to exact some kind of perverse
revenge on the Lebanese, and this is a great tragedy, whatever one thinks of
Hezbollah.

--
Elias I. Muhanna
Arabic & Islamic Studies