[LCM Articles] Robert Fisk's articles in the Independent

Taweelh@aol.com Taweelh at aol.com
Mon Jul 17 15:42:51 EDT 2006

Here it is. By the way, you can get it for free from Lexis Nexis if you are
affiliated with any university or academic institution.

Hala

Copyright 2006 Newspaper Publishing PLC
All Rights Reserved
The Independent (London)

July 17, 2006 Monday
First  Edition

SECTION: NEWS; Pg. 2

LENGTH: 1178 words

HEADLINE: Two  nations: divided by war but united by fear;
'If our Prime Minister  is crying, what are we to do?'

BYLINE: ROBERT  FISK in Beirut

BODY:

You could see the Israeli missiles coming through the  clouds of smoke,
hurtling like thunderbolts into the apartment blocks of  Ghobeiri, the crack of the
explosions so loud that my ears are still singing  hours later as I write
this report.

Yes, I suppose you  could call this a "terrorist" target, for here in these
mean, fearful streets is  - or rather was - the Hizbollah headquarters. Even
the movement's propaganda  television station, Al-Manar, lay apancaked ruin in
the street, its broadcasts  still being transmitted from the station's bunker
beneath the rubble. But what  of the tens of thousands of people who live here?

The  few who were not lying in their basements ran shrieking through the
streets -  not gunmen, but women with screaming children, families holding
suit-cases,  desperate to leave the heaps of broken buildings, entire apartment
blocks  smashed to bits, the roadways covered in smashed balconies and torn
electrical  wires. "You don't have to help the resistance," Sayed Hassan Nasrallah,
the  Hizbollah leader, told the Lebanese on television last night. "The
resistance is  on the front line and the Lebanese are behind them."

Untrue, of course. It is the Lebanese - and their 130 dead, almost all
civilians - who are also on the front line. In Israel, 24 have been killed, 15  of
them civilians. So the exchange rate for death in this filthy war is now
approximately one Israeli to five Lebanese. So many Lebanese have now fled  Beirut
for Tripoli in the north of Lebanon, or for the Bekaa Valley in the east  -
or to Syria - that Beirut, where one and a half million people live, is a
ghost city, its remaining residents sitting in their homes amid the hopelessness
of all those who believed that this country was at last emerging from the
shadows of its 15-year civil war. It was Nasrallah who said that there are "more
surprises to come", and the Lebanese fear that the Israelis, too, have some
more  surprises for them.

I watched one of these from my  sea-front balcony at dusk on Saturday, an
American-made Apache helicopter  turning three times over the Mediterranean
before firing a single missile -  perfectly visible, with smoke pouring from the
tail - that smacked into Beirut's  brand new lighthouse on the Corniche in a
cloud of brown muck. So what was this  for? Another "terrorist" target, I
suppose. Like the gas stations bombed in the  Bekaa Valley. Like the convoy of 20
civilians incinerated in an Israeli airraid  on Saturday after being or dered by
the Israelis themselves to leave their home  village on the border.

Last night, Hizbollah's missiles  after killing 10 Israelis in Haifa were
falling on the occupied Syrian Golan  Heights, setting the forests alight, and on
the Israeli city of Acre. The  Syrians warned of an "unlimited" response if
Israel attacked them - the Israelis  have been saying, untruthfully, that
Syrian troops and Iranians are present in  Lebanon, helping Hizbollah in their
battle and the preposterous response of the  G8 summit was greeted with despair.
Tony Blair, who is now also, it seems, the  Minister of Root Causes, believes
Syria and Iran are behind the original  Hizbollah attack. He is right. But it
is to Damascus that the West will have to  go to switch this dirty war off.

Certainly, the  powerless Lebanese Prime Minister, Fouad Siniora, cannot do
so. With his  government accused by Israel of responsibility for Wednesday's
capture of two  Israeli soldiers - a claim as preposterous as it is wrong - he
went on  television in tears to appeal to the United Nations to arrange a
ceasefire for  his "disaster-stricken nation". The Lebanese appreciated the tears,
but those  tears are unlikely to have had President Bush shaking in his boots.
Churchill in  1940, Siniora-asincereand good man, uncorrupted by Lebanese
politics - is not.  "If our Prime Minister is crying," one Lebanese woman
astutely pointed out to me  yesterday, "what is the civilian population of our
country supposed to do?"

But where are the other sup-posed political titans of  Lebanon? What is Saad
Hariri, son of the assassinated ex-prime minister Rafiq  Hariri - who rebuilt
the Lebanon which Israel is now destroying - doing in  Kuwait, chatting to the
Kuwaitis about his country's predicament? The Kuwaiti  army is scarcely going
to come to defend Lebanon. Why isn't Hariri the son on  his private jet to
the G8 summit in St Petersburg to demand of President Bush  that he protect the
democratically-elected government and the nation he praised  for its "cedar
revolution" last year? Or doesn't democracy matter when Israel is  smashing
Lebanon? Answer: no, it doesn't.

UN Security  Council Resolution 1559 demanded a Syrian retreat from Lebanon -
which was  accomplished - but it also demanded the disarming of Hizbollah,
which was  definitely not accomplished. Many here suspected that 1559, designed
by the  French and the Americans, was intended to weaken Lebanon and prepare
it for a  peace treaty with Israel. Well, not any more. It was the Lebanese
President,  Emile Lahoud, who still cravenly follows Syria's line - he is, after
all,  Syria's man - who said yesterday that Lebanon "will never surrender".
Lahoud as  Churchill. There is something obscene here

Nasrallah,  meanwhile, told the Israelis that: "If you do not want to play by
rules, we can  do the same." It was a grim little threat that was obviously
meant to counter  Ehud Olmert's equally grim little threat that there would be
"far-reaching  consequences" for the missile attack on Haifa. Nasrallah's
televised argument -  that Hizbollah originally wished to confine all casualties
to the military -  will not wash with Israel, but may encourage those many
Lebanese who were  originally outraged by Hizbollah's attack across the border on
Wednesday, only  to be silenced by the cruelty of Israel's response

"This is the last struggle of the 'umma'," Nasrallah said, the "umma"  being
the Arab "homeland". Alas, that is what the Arab leaders said when they
joined Lawrence of Arabia's battle against the Ottoman empire in the First World
War. It is always the "last struggle".

D The weapons of  war

Fajr-3 missile

An  Iranian-built rocket with range of 45km which can carry a 45kg warhead.
Israel  accused Hizbolah of firing 240mm Fajr-3 missiles against Haifa. Iran
denies  supplying the missiles to Hizbolah

Fajr-5 rocket

Longer-range version of Fajr-3 that can strike targets up  to 72km away

Raad missile

Iranian-built missile with range of 120km. Could reach central Israel.
Israelis accused Hizbolah of firing Raad ("Thunder") missiles yesterday.  Hizbolah
said last week it had fired Raad for the first time

Katyusha

Previously the Hizbolah missile of  choice, the Russian-designed Katyushas
have a range of 22km and variable  accuracy. Israel accused Syria of supplying
Hizbollah with a longer-range  model

Kassem

Rockets with  range of up to 10km, used by Hamas guerrilas in
Palestinian-ruled Gaza. Israeli  town of Sderot has been a frequent target of the notoriously
inaccurate  missiles

F-16 fighter

The  US-made "fighting Falcon" is a multi-role fighter which has been
dropping  quarter-ton bombs on targets in Lebanon

GRAPHIC: Aterrified  Lebanesewoman inNabatiyeh finds her city turned into the
front line KAMEL JABER  /REUTERS' The fifth day of bombing

LOAD-DATE:  July 17, 2006

   Document 1 of 2.
(http://web.lexis-nexis.com.ezp.lndlibrary.org/universe/document?_m=158894530de395521728b6a3ff1b6d35&_docnum=2&wchp=dGLzVlz-zSkVA&_md5=
48ce1d89f5ad93834923f81444e3418b)

_Terms and Conditions_ (javascript:void 0)  | _Privacy_ (javascript:void 0)
_Copyright ©_
(http://web.lexis-nexis.com.ezp.lndlibrary.org/universe/document?_m=136b204575112b1bdbcb9d9d6b0b1ea5&_docnum=1&wchp=dGLzVlz-zSkVA&_md5=b1c8ce9
10c8e069862042fc3da8f860c#prod_terms)  2006 LexisNexis, a division of  Reed
Elsevier Inc. All Rights Reserved.

In a message dated 7/17/2006 3:20:19 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,