[LCM Articles] Bashar Assad is the problem, said Rafik Hariri

Loai Naamani loai at MIT.EDU
Mon Oct 17 02:50:14 EDT 2005

Sunday, October 16, 2005

Bashar Assad is the problem, said Rafik Hariri

Al-Mustaqbal published <http://www.almustaqbal.com/stories.aspx?CategoryID=3&IssueID=934>  Monday statements Rafik Hariri reportedly
made off the record shortly before his assassination.

"Our problem is not with Emile Lahoud. Look how he recoiled when the orders came to [make Omar Karami Prime Minister]. And our
problem is not with Rustom Ghazaleh who, as the Syrian leadership said, represents and implements what Syria wants in Lebanon to the
letter. Our problem, actually, is with Bashar Assad."

The paper claims Assad offered to exchange UNSC 1559 with Lahoud's head but Hariri rejected, opting instead to up the ante with the
Syrian regime.

"We will not be tools in Bashar's hands," he told reporters, apparently off the record. "One day he orders an extension and another
a dethronement. He wants Lahoud changed now to impose someone else possibly worse for six years. What interests us is changing the
methodology (Nahj), not changing masks."

Hariri, in a subsequent meeting with Ghazaleh, informed the latter that there was no need for Syria to interfere in his choice of
candidates for the parliamentary election. "If you view me as an opponent, you cannot demand political support from me," he told
Syria's intelligence chief in Lebanon.

If the above quotes are accurate, then Bashar is not only Lebanon's problem, but Syria's as well. His inconsistencies are proof of a
dangerous lack of skills that Hariri felt was going to destroy Lebanon if allowed to continue...

http://beirutbeltway.blogspot.com/2005/10/bashar-assad-is-problem-said-rafik.html

Full article in Arabic attached,
L.