[LCM Articles] Today's Articles on Lebanon and Syria

Walid Georges Chamoun walid at chamoun.org
Wed Mar 23 13:37:52 EST 2005

LEBANON-SYRIA: Annan: Assad Commits to Full Withdrawal
Daily Star
U.N. Secretary General Kofi Annan said Syrian President Bashar Assad had given him a "commitment" to completely withdraw his troops and intelligence agents from Lebanon. Following a meeting with Assad during the Arab League summit in Algiers, Annan said the Syrian president confirmed his commitment to U.N. Resolution 1559 which calls for a Syrian withdrawal from its smaller neighbor. "The withdrawal has begun. He's working out a timetable in consultation with the Lebanese authorities and will withdraw his troops completely into Syrian territory. not just the troops but also the security service," Annan said. He added: "We need to see all of them withdrawn, and President Assad has confirmed to me that that is his intention and he will implement 1559 in full.
Continue reading this article

Links to related articles:
. ARTICLE: Three killed as new blast rocks Beirut shopping mall, Daily Star (Mar. 23)
. ARTICLE: Fresh Lebanon bombing kills three, BBC (Mar. 23)
. ARTICLE: Raising the stakes, Al-Ahram (Mar. 23)

More on Lebanon and Syria