KRB5CCNAME environment variable is not detected

Rajesh Kokkonda rajeshk.kokkonda at gmail.com
Thu May 16 07:24:23 EDT 2024

Hi,

I am facing an issue with the identification of the KRB5CCNAME environment
variable by the kerberos libraries on Windows platform.

We have a service which runs under a local system account that establishes
database connections.

As soon as the service starts, it reads a file that contains a set of key
value pairs. These key value pairs are set as environment variables using
the SetEnvironmentVariable and _putenv method within the same process. One
of the key value pairs is KRB5CCNAME.

We noticed that with the 4.1.0.7 version of the kerberos libraries, the
environment variable KRB5CCNAME that is set within the process has no
effect. The connection establishment fails and when we enabled the tracing,
we noticed the below error message.

*ccselect can't find appropriate cache*

However  when we set the environment variable at the system level using
windows advanced settings, the variable is getting resolved properly and
connection to the database is established.

We also tested out with a version 4.1.0.0 which is shown as a pre-release
in the properties against the gssapi64.dll library. Here the service is
able to establish connection to the database properly.

Can you please let us know if this is any issue with 4.1.0.7 or there is
any issue from our side.

Thanks,
Rajesh