Using authentication indicators

Greg Hudson ghudson at mit.edu
Fri Mar 31 02:19:16 EDT 2023

On 3/30/23 16:01, Ken Hornstein via krbdev wrote:
> - There does not seem to be a public krb5 API to decode authentication
>    indicators.
[...]
>    Also, I'm a little unclear on how the authdata_context has access to
>    the authentication indicators from the AP-REQ!

krb5_rd_req_dec() initializes an authdata context and runs the authdata
modules over the ticket authdata.  (The authdata pluggable interface
isn't public and hasn't been converted to the new plugin
infrastructure.)  One of those modules (authind) extracts authentication
indicators.  The resulting authdata context is stored in the
krb5_auth_context.  The krb5 gss_accept_sec_context() fetches this
authdata context from the auth context and copies it into the src_name
output so that the GSS naming extensions can fetch values from it.  None
of the libkrb5 interfaces used for this are public.

I think the conservative option here would be to provide public APIs
corresponding to krb5_authdata_get_attribute() and
krb5_authdata_get_attribute_types() but which operate on auth contexts.
Another option is to make the krb5_authdata_context type and functions
public, but that's a lot of new API surface.

> - As previously discussed, authentication indicators are not passed
>    through when using cross-realm authentication, and that's an issue
>    for us as we make use of cross-realm authentication (ticket flags
>    ARE passed through cross-realm, but I realize when that decision
>    was made it was a simpler time).

We could start with a string attribute on the incoming cross-tgt entry
that permits some or all auth indicators to be propagated as-is.  Off
the cuff I'd imagine an attribute named allow_indicators, where the
value "*" means any indicator and otherwise it's a space-separated list
of indicators.

More generalized cross-realm support would allow a plugin module
(perhaps the KDB module, or a KDC policy module) to filter and rename
attributes.  But I don't plan to add the interfaces for that without
someone's stated intent to use them (such as FreeIPA's).

Down in the weeds, currently the KDC's get_auth_indicators() tries to
verify the CAMMAC server and KDC checksums and ignores the CAMMAC if
that fails.  We would need that function to recognize incoming
cross-realm TGTs and verify only the server checksum (similar to
get_verified_pac()) but filter the results.