Use of kdc_send_hook with gss_init_sec_context

Isaac Boukris iboukris at gmail.com
Sat Feb 5 05:52:51 EST 2022

On Sat, Feb 5, 2022 at 9:56 AM Stefan Metzmacher <metze at samba.org> wrote:

> > I've floated this idea before, as a way to bridge libkrb5 functionality
> > (such as krb5_init_context_profile()) and GSS.
> >
> > Nico dislikes the idea because he doesn't like anything that encourages
> > mechanism-specific code in GSS applications.  He tends to favor name
> > attributes as the extension point when possible.
> >
> > Sam has raised a more specific objection: if the context set by
> > gsskrb5_set_krb5_context() is per-thread (which is the easiest way to
> > get around contexts not being thread-safe), then it could be a source of
> > subtle bugs if someone creates a GSS object in one thread and gets
> > different behavior when they use it in another thread.
> >
> > I don't totally understand your use case.  If I read correctly, the
> > platform (wasm) requires the use of websockets rather than TCP or UDP.
> > So what code would register the send hook and GSS context?  Does every
> > application have to be modified in order to work with the platform?
> > That doesn't seem like a good long-term design compared to solving the
> > problem within libkrb5.
>
> I'd like to propose something similar to the send_to_realm
> plugins available in heimdal, see
> https://github.com/heimdal/heimdal/blob/master/lib/krb5/send_to_kdc_plugin.h
>
> This is what I'm trying to use in Samba soon,
> because it's too much work have everything working with just the _step() apis.

Looking at send_to_realm() it doesn't seem much different than MIT's
kdc_send_hook(), so I wonder how you would make use of it for async
operations, since you need to provide the kdc reply synchronously upon
returning.

> In order to get something working with existing MIT krb5 installations
> I had the crazy idea of having a locator plugin, which is registered globally.
> That plugin would return a single but unreachable (loopback) address
> and also registers a kdc_send_hook to the passed krb5_context (so it also
> able to inject it into the krb5_context hidden in the gssapi layer.
> The kdc_send_hook() acts like a send_to_realm hook by returning a hook_reply.

Thanks for the hack, I might try it out as it seems simpler than the
current alternatives I have in mind. That said, with the web being the
single largest platform in today's ecosystem, I'd still hope for a
more straightforward way to build and use the krb5 libs on it.