ktutil under kadmin instead of with kinit in clients

Chris Hecker checker at d6.com
Wed Oct 6 00:11:34 EDT 2021

Greg replied to this in another thread but I figured I'd reply to that
reply here to keep it separate from my other overly long thread which is
going to get longer, and in case someone from The Future searches the
mailing list archives:

Greg:
It's been that way since 1.0.  kadmin is also a client, as is
gss-sample, so it's never been the case that all clients were under
clients.  I don't believe we build ss on Windows, so that would be the
primary obstacle to adding ktutil to the Windows build.

I guess I'm asking if you would be interested in a patch/pull request if
I move it to clients on my local build and get ss working on windows (or
at least the parts that ktutil uses) or if that's not interesting I'll
not bother to do it "right" and just hack it locally and not get it
working cross-platform.  Either way is fine with me, I just don't want
to do the extra work to do it right if you don't want to move it.

gss-sample is under the appl directory with the other sample tests,
which makes sense, ktutil is under kadmin which doesn't make sense (at
least to me, obvs), since it doesn't use any kadm stuff at all as far as
I can tell, it's just a client app.

Chris