using keytab with preauth and ldap alias canonicalization

Chris Hecker checker at d6.com
Mon Oct 4 23:38:42 EDT 2021

This message is a bit of a ramble, apologies, I'm trying to figure out
my options...

If you do upgrade, the KDC doesn't need to be 1.17 or even be running
MIT krb5.  The API just makes an unauthenticated AS-REQ and looks at the
method data in the PREAUTH_REQUIRED error

Okay, so I could actually port this new API to my older client lib if I
wanted, or do this query manually as well?  Although I should probably
update it anyway.

Maybe it would be helpful if I outlined my various use cases...

The first time the player starts the game and wants to go online, what
happens depends on how they launched the game.  Sometimes I get a
username/password, and then create a key from that and save it in the
keytab.  Other times I get a keyblock from a server process that talks
to kadmind and I save that to a keytab.  Then we fall through to the
next case...

If there is an existing keytab, I load the key from that, and then send
it to the KDC to get a TGT.

So, currently, all paths go through the existing key path eventually,
which is where I'm running into trouble.

I assume given a key created for checkersp, there is no way to change it
into a key for checker, so I'd need to reprompt or get a new keyblock
for the canonical name?  Is there a way to validate that the checkersp
key is at least correct, or is that info not available because the KDC
only has the key with the canonical salt and stuff?  I guess I haven't
tested the case of adding an alias that becomes the canonical princ.  Is
the existing password key in the KDC invalid then...in other words,
assuming I just use LDAP to add another princ and set it canonical
without touching other LDAP fields, is the key data invalid at that
point because the salt is wrong?  I'll have to handle that case I
think...will I have to force a password update on that account, assuming
again there's no way to rekey from one princ salt to another?

I'm also going to have to handle the case where the canonical alias is
created after a player already has a keytab saved, so I'm going to have
to deal with the error of the key login path failing regardless.  Hmm.

Chris