Alternative proxy-creds API for constrained-delegation

Nico Williams nico at cryptonector.com
Wed Jun 3 12:01:00 EDT 2020

On Wed, Jun 03, 2020 at 04:11:08PM +0200, Isaac Boukris wrote:
> To me, gss-proxy sounds like a big requirement, I was hoping for a
> simpler plugable client helper mechanism, that simply talks to a
> daemon when needed and puts the ticket in cache for the client to use.

That's still a proxy.  We talked about this on the call.  Love had
wanted all of these proxies back in 2012, and I agree with that:

 - krb5_get_credentials() proxy

 - krb5_mk/rd_req*() proxy

 - gss proxy

All of these can be in the same or different programs -- it doesn't
matter much.

In Heimdal, kcm could be this proxy.

> In other words, I'd prefer that we define how gss-proxy and other
> daemon would be able to achieve this with gssapi, rather than the
> other way around.

The use of a proxy is an internal detail that MUST NOT leak into the
API.  (It's OK if there's a configuration knob in the API for some of
this, but it must not be required that the app know how to use it.)