Spurious tickets when using DNS realm configuration

david@crossfamilyweb.com david at crossfamilyweb.com
Sun Jul 28 15:21:36 EDT 2019

On 2019-07-24 12:47, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Greg Hudson <ghudson at mit.edu> writes:
>> On 7/24/19 2:13 AM, David Cross wrote:
>
>>> Additionally on the kdc i see that it additionally requests the tgt
>>> again.
>
>> The TGT or the service ticket?  Regardless, I don't have a good
>> explanation for that; I wouldn't expect there to be multiple TGS
>> requests in a simple referral scenario.  Getting KRB5_TRACE output
>> might
>> help determine what's going on.
>
> Maybe David is seeing multiple AS_REQs from pre-auth?  That usually
> gets
> logged as two requests, one without the challenge (which will result in
> "Additional pre-authentication required") and one with it.

Sorry to dissapear... and as I was typing my reply, I figured out what
was going on; I have it set to request forwardable tickets....so the
'second' TGT is the forwardable one; I just validated this by disabling
the forwardable ticket and I now see this in the logs instead of a new
TGT:

Jul 28 19:16:05 kerberos krb5kdc[####]: TGS_REQ (1 etypes {19})
10.1.7.155: TGT NOT FORWARDABLE: authtime 0,  david at EXAMPLE.COM for
krbtgt/EXAMPLE.COM at EXAMPLE.COM, KDC can't fulfill requested option

So that's one mystery down.

(replying to the other thread separately)