Creating a keytab for an AD user

Mark Pröhl mark at mproehl.net
Mon Sep 24 04:04:38 EDT 2018

Hi,

msktutil is a tool for managing keytabs in active directory. I started
documenting my knowledge of ADs salting mechanism plus some thoughts here:

https://github.com/msktutil/msktutil/blob/master/windows-salt.txt

Salting differs for machine accounts and user accounts. For user
accounts it turned out to be a difference weather they have a
userPrincipalname attribute or not. According to your mail, there could
be more distinctions, e.g. the version of your AD environment (2008/R2,
2012/R2, 2016 or Samba) and maybe others

What are the versions of AD that use "DOMAINuser" and "DOMAINfulluser"?

A question to the developers of MIT Kerberos: is there an API in libkrb5
to get the salt string from a KDC replay?

Regards,

Mark Pröhl