Need suggestion/help in back porting the fix for vulnerability CVE-2017-7562 (backporting from Kerberos 1.16.1 to Kerberos 1.9)

Shivakumar Nadarajan -X (shinadar - HCL TECHNOLOGIES LIMITED at Cisco) shinadar at cisco.com
Sun Sep 23 03:40:25 EDT 2018

Hi Greg,

	Based on your previous information, I did go through the details of the commit b619ce84470519bea65470be3263cd85fba94f57. After some analysis still I am not able to convince myself that this vulnerability doesn't exist for the versions before this commit. Please find my argument as below

Before commit(b619ce84470519bea65470be3263cd85fba94f57):
	1. It’s a sequential checks that are done against the certificate, meaning that first san check is done using verify_client_san()
	2. Then eku check is done using verify_client_eku()

After commit:
	1. The code has been refactored such that san and eku check are done through function pointers pkinit_san_authorize() and pkinit_eku_authorize()
	2. Both these function pointers still call verify_client_san() and verify_client_eku() and do the same checks as before commit.
	3. Additional check related to db match is been added after the commit

Common note: Either before the commit or after the commit, the retrieve san information is done in crypto_retrieve_X509_sans() which hasn't changed before or after the commit.
And the main vulnerability fix is done in crypto_retrieve_X509_sans() and hence its applicable for all the versions which has this code.
Please correct me if I am wrong and also request you to help me further on this.

Also please refer the below link specific to Cisco

https://tools.cisco.com/security/center/viewAlert.x?alertId=58543

It mentions the affected version as  1.9 (Base, .1, .2) | 1.9.1 (Base) | 1.9.2 (Base) | 1.9.3 (Base) | 1.9.4 (Base) | 1.9.5 (Base)

Thanks and Regards!
Shiva